Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Revealed Concealed Weapon

(McKean County)

I have posted some stupid stuff I have heard from supposedly intelligent people. My favorite is the retired teacher standing next to her husband as he and I discussed guns in general, his old 22 he hadn't shot in years, and going to the range. He thought he needed a "permit" from the Magistrate to go to the range.
    Wife - I am so worried, you can't own a gun in PA without a permit.
    Me - Sure you can.
    Wife - "You can't buy a gun in PA without a permit.
    Me - sure you can.
    Wife - "You can't carry it around in PA without a permit.
    Me - Sure you can. It is called open carrying, allowed most places in PA without a license . And to and from the range and guns store is also allowed. If you want to conceal carry, apply for a license to carry, in PA it is called a LTCF License To Carry Firearms
    She - Well I know you can't carry it loaded.
    Me - sure you can.
    She - Well I know you can't carry in a bank.
    Me - Sure you can.
    She - Well, I know you can't carry in a bank with the word "National" in the name.
    Me - Huh?

I changed the subject........
    Last edited by FJRMarty; January 9th, 2014 at 06:59 AM.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJRMarty View Post
    Me - Sure you can. It is called open carrying, allowed most places in PA without a license . And to and from the range and guns store is also allowed. If you want to conceal carry, apply for a license to carry, in PA it is called a LTCF License To Carry Firearms
    Careful with that. You can surely open carry without a LTCF if you walk to the range. You may not enter a vehicle open carrying a loaded handgun without a LTCF. You may however, secure it unloaded in the trunk and travel directly to and from the range without any stops.

And then of course without the LTCF you have the usual carrying restrictions along now with philly, school zone and during a state of emergency.

[I think your wording was just unclear and you're actually aware of this, but better safe than sorry so I thought I would clarify for others reading]

(Luzerne County)

A while back, while shopping at Home Depot, I had to reach up to a high shelf to grab some pipe fittings. In so doing, my sweatshirt rose up, exposing the butt of my Taurus 617 in an IWB holster. Coming back down to earth, the shirt stayed above the butt as a woman was passing by behind me. As I looked at her, she placed herself between me and her child in the shopping cart, walking sideways down the rest of the aisle.
    I cruised the store for about ten more minutes, and waited in the checkout line for another five, all the time waiting for that tap on my shoulder that never came. I also thought the local constabulary would be waiting for me outside, but, again, I was wrong.
    That look on that woman's face got me thinking about how the public perceives a firearm displayed out in the open. That's probably the biggest reason I don't OC.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeba View Post
    That look on that woman's face got me thinking about how the public perceives a firearm displayed out in the open. That's probably the biggest reason I don't OC.
    Ditto. This is something the NRA should be combating. A very simple (and funny) ad campaign could be effective.

Picture the above poster at some unnamed mega hardware store when the same described situation occurs. The woman reels and the narrator states that ordinary citizens carrying guns stop X,XXX,XXX crimes every year. "There are millions of ordinary citizens carrying guns all the time." The camera raises and several other patrons of the mega store lift their shirts, open their jackets, or open their purses to reveal their carry pieces. The camera zooms to each one. Normal ordinary citizens of every age, race, and sex, including a mother with her child in the shopping cart seat. "You may not know they are there, but if trouble comes, thank the Lord that they are."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Chester County)

Do be careful though.

I have had to argue this with a cop.

There are poorly informed people everywhere.

Know the right answers and be confident in them. Even to a cop that argues back.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRMarty View Post
    I have posted some stupid stuff I have heard from supposedly intelligent people. My favorite is the retired teacher standing next to her husband as he and I discussed guns in general, his old 22 he hadn't shot in years, and going to the range. He thought he needed a "permit" from the Magistrate to go to the range.
    Wife - I am so worried, you can't own a gun in PA without a permit.
    Me - Sure you can.
    Wife - "You can't buy a gun in PA without a permit.
    Me - sure you can.
    She - Well I know you can't carry it loaded.
    Me - sure you can.
    She - Well I know you can't carry in a bank.
    Me - Sure you can.
    She - Well, I know you can't carry in a bank with the word "National" in the name.
    Me - Huh?

I changed the subject........
    I apologize in advance:

You chose poorly.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sshuker View Post
    Do be careful though.

I have had to argue this with a cop.

There are poorly informed people everywhere.

Know the right answers and be confident in them. Even to a cop that argues back.
    A - Fuck him
    B - tell him to charge you
    C - hire lawyer and profit

Usually calm in demeanor, I've had my fill of idiots spreading misinformation, so apologies in advance.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    A - Fuck him
    B - tell him to charge you
    C - hire lawyer and profit

Usually calm in demeanor, I've had my fill of idiots spreading misinformation, so apologies in advance.

First, I do not need to hire a lawyer, as I am a lawyer.

Second, I do not mind having such arguments with cops, respectfully of course.

I figure every time I have such a conversation that forces the cop to confirm I am correct, that cop has learned something and maybe even made a big enough impression to discuss it with his fellow officers. Happy to do it every day if it stops other people who do not interact with LEOs as often as I do and may not be as comfortable in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sshuker View Post
    First, I do not need to hire a lawyer, as I am a lawyer.

Second, I do not mind having such arguments with cops, respectfully of course.

I figure every time I have such a conversation that forces the cop to confirm I am correct, that cop has learned something and maybe even made a big enough impression to discuss it with his fellow officers. Happy to do it every day if it stops other people who do not interact with LEOs as often as I do and may not be as comfortable in the same situation.
    Then you're all set counselor.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast