Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Reloading brass for friends

I apologize if this was discussed before I tried search but every thread in this forum has the word reloading in it.

Anyway now that some of my friends have found out I am reloading I have been getting asked if I can reload their used brass for them. I do not have a problem with this (to a point) as practice makes perfect and I'm always up for trying different calibers. I'm curious about the liability angle. Should a friend do something stupid with ammo I reloaded could I be held liable? Or if they use it in an unreliable gun other than the one I loaded for and blow themselves up?

If you do this how would you handle payment? I'm not really looking to make money, but I also don't want to give my time away for free.

Default Re: Reloading brass for friends

I would teach them how to reload and "rent" the equipment to them. Let them buy their powder and projectiles and you can help them to figure out the best recipe. They can pay for your "teaching" time and the use of your equipment.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    I would teach them how to reload and "rent" the equipment to them. Let them buy their powder and projectiles and you can help them to figure out the best recipe. They can pay for your "teaching" time and the use of your equipment.
    +1

I have let my neighbor use my equipment, they provide the brass, primers, powder, and tips. I will help and teach, but if they reload their own and blow up their gun. They rolled the ammo. I didn't...

(Chester County)

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]
    Hoplophobia is funny

Due to our litigious society, I agree with the others. I used to reload for friends and relatives but stopped due to liability issues. I have shown those interested how to reload their own. I let them use my equipment and dies (If it is a caliber I have). I used to just charge for the powder, primers, and bullets they used but now with components becoming scarce they will have to supply their own.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Lehigh County)

Same for me. Buddy uses my press with his supplies. I just give guidance.

(York County)

i reload for some friends, provided they provide the components, if it is a caliber i don't currently reload, then they buy me the dies. i usually operate on a "if you want a box of bullets (heads) reloaded, buy two boxes. one for you and one for me, and i keep any leftovers, i.e. powder or primers"

that said, i wouldn't shoot anything any of my friends reloaded (sorry, they are friends so i know how responsible, or irresponsible they can be). i have never reloaded for a caliber that i don't own, so i test fire all of my loads before i give them to friends.

i only trust the reloads that were made by me or my father, since he taught me how to reload.
    I want your vz.33

(Chester County)

I am not an attorney, nor am I saying to not to do it, but having someone else use your equipment could still open you up to some liability. People could claim your equipment, and/or instruction were faulty. Just something else to think about in today's warped society.

(Adams County)

the answer is yes and no. with a lot of gray area in between. I did it for years it paid for my shooting. but I stopped about 20 years ago.

now with a lawyer behind every bush I would not touch it.

(Berks County)

I used to have a wooden chair repair side business.
    I carried Lib Ins.
    But, I realized as long as those repaired chairs where still in use, I had to carry expensive ins; even though I was no longer in business.

Think if your friend fires his mud plugged rifle and it kills him, his widow will be headed in your direction with a shyster.

Wish it wasn't so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast