Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Question Am I legal to open carry?

To start I'm kind of new here I have read a few threads about some stuff and read over other things on this site and really enjoy it here. There is one thing though that I haven't been able to find.

I'm trying to find out if I would be allowed to openly carry a handgun in Pennsylvania (except for Philadelphia because I am not able to get a concealed carry permit yet). I am 20 years old and have read that if a parent or legal guardian were to buy the handgun they could give it to me as a gift or I could buy it from them and I can have it with me and open carry it. I have read though somewhere else that I can only openly carry it if I am with someone who is 21 and not by myself even though at age 18 you can legally open carry.

So to make a long story short, am I allowed to openly carry a handgun in Pennsylvania at the age of 20 alone without someone else who is at least 21?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Am I legal to open carry?

18+ to carry. Stay outside of schools by 1000', vehicles and don't carry during a state of emergency or in Philly and you're legal

Parent can gift you a gun as long as everyone is a PA resident

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    18+ to carry. Stay outside of schools by 1000', vehicles and don't carry during a state of emergency or in Philly and you're legal

Parent can gift you a gun as long as everyone is a PA resident
    Thank you, but one other question, if I were to get into a vehicle with the gun, could I just unload it and put everything into the trunk? Or is that only if you are already the legal age to own a CCW?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde1993 View Post
    Thank you, but one other question, if I were to get into a vehicle with the gun, could I just unload it and put everything into the trunk? Or is that only if you are already the legal age to own a CCW?
    Without a LTCF you have to unload the firearm and have the loaded mags separate from the gun. You ALSO have to meet an exception (driving directly to/from a range would be one)

I encourage you to read all the statutes listed in the references link above, then spend AT LEAST 2 weeks scanning and reading the forum (stickies especially) to get up to speed on the law before even thinking of carrying.

You are not ready yet

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Without a LTCF you have to unload the firearm and have the loaded mags separate from the gun. You ALSO have to meet an exception (driving directly to/from a range would be one)

I encourage you to read all the statutes listed in the references link above, then spend AT LEAST 2 weeks scanning and reading the forum (stickies especially) to get up to speed on the law before even thinking of carrying.

You are not ready yet
    Alright thank you

(Delaware County)

PS:welcome to the forum and don't be shy to ask questions

(Erie County)

If you want to just OC a gun, as in going out and about, you will have to leave your residence on foot. AFAIK, there is NO exception that will allow you to drive somewhere, then OC under these conditions, without an LTCF. I believe that is what you want to do. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    If you want to just OC a gun, as in going out and about, you will have to leave your residence on foot. AFAIK, there is NO exception that will allow you to drive somewhere, then OC under these conditions, without an LTCF. I believe that is what you want to do. Don't do it.

Its not what I want to do it was just something that I read about and it didn't clarify it completely and left me confused and I couldn't find anything that could. You cleared it up pretty good for me though and I thank you.

(Jefferson County)

Its not what I want to do it was just something that I read about and it didn't clarify it completely and left me confused and I couldn't find anything that could. You cleared it up pretty good for me though and I thank you.
    Keep in strict adherence to the law.. ..just about every firearm law violation in PA will make you prohibited for life.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

So here's a question that I'm not sure about that could apply to his situation: with him being under 21 and ineligible to obtain an LTCF, let's say he is the owner of his handgun. If he were with someone that had their LTCF, would that person be able to "borrow" it under their LTCF for transport? Not suggesting or condoning anything, just trying to get an idea on a hypothetical situation.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast