Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Reloading Rogers Better Bullets in 45 ACP

I just started reloading 45, after buying my first 45, a Ruger SR1911.

Before I started, I got an average OAL of 2 flavors of 230 GR factory ammo, both of which averaged 1.270" OAL.

The Lymans 49th manual gives an OAL of 1.272" for a 230 GR cast bullet. I loaded up several Raineer 230 GR plated, keeping them all around 1.270" OAL.

They worked in the gun just fine, not a single problem, as did the factory loaded ammo.

However, when I loaded some of the Better Bullets, 230 GR LRN, none of them would chamber. All where about .035" from seating/headspacing. The front of the Better Bullets is much more blunt then the Raineers, which led me to believe that the bullets where contacting the rifling before they where fully in the chamber.

I seated the bullets another .040" deeper in the cases, making the OAL 1.230". They fit all the way in the chamber now/headspace correctly.

My biggest concern is will that additional .040" deeper seating depth have catastrophic results as far as pressure goes? I'm using 4.2 GR of WST.

I've been reloading 9mm, 38/357, and 40, and never encountered any problems with any of those rounds.

ALSO, after buying some used 45 brass, I found 65 small primer cases mixed in. I put those aside, and will reload those with small primers, BUT....will I need to use small primers in magnum, or will plain old small primers be fine?

Thanks in advance.
    John

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading Rogers Better Bullets in 45 ACP

I think the MIN OAL is 1.2 for 45acp

that extra seating depth with that load should not be a problem...however i am new to the game as well

just use small pistol primers for the .45 spp cases (i just scrap those)....no need for magnum unless called for

(Montgomery County)

I think you are a little long on the OAL. I just checked the new Lee manual and the minimum OAL for 230gr lead is 1.200. The min. powder chg. for WST is 4.0 and the max. is 4.3. You should be fine. I usually seat my 45ACP to 1.260 and that seems to feed better in my guns. Too short sometimes jambs but that could just be me.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioIM View Post
    I just started reloading 45, after buying my first 45, a Ruger SR1911.

Before I started, I got an average OAL of 2 flavors of 230 GR factory ammo, both of which averaged 1.270" OAL.

The Lymans 49th manual gives an OAL of 1.272" for a 230 GR cast bullet. I loaded up several Raineer 230 GR plated, keeping them all around 1.270" OAL.

I seated the bullets another .040" deeper in the cases, making the OAL 1.230". They fit all the way in the chamber now/headspace correctly.

My biggest concern is will that additional .040" deeper seating depth have catastrophic results as far as pressure goes? I'm using 4.2 GR of WST.

ALSO, after buying some used 45 brass, I found 65 small primer cases mixed in. I put those aside, and will reload those with small primers, BUT....will I need to use small primers in magnum, or will plain old small primers be fine?

Thanks in advance.
    John

John, consider consulting the 230 LRN data here:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

If you scroll down to the 230 gr LRN data and look at WST powder, you'll note the "starting" to "max load" data is 4.0 - 4.3 gr of WST. Additionally, their minimum OAL is 1.200.

At your current seating depth of 1.230 with 4.2 gr of WST, your load should work just fine in a mechanically correct .45 cal semi-auto.

Oh, and regular small pistol primers should be just fine for those niggling "small primer" .45 cases. Just check to see if your gun likes the small primers. Some may not. So glad to hear you sorted the brass according to primer size!

Don't know if you gauge your rounds in a barrel or a case gauge. If you haven't already, consider the possibility of purchasing a Wilson case gauge in .45 for your .45 reloads, and one for each caliber you reload. Safer than using the barrel, unless you disassemble your firearm.

Roger has 'em.

Hope this helps. Be safe!

Best regards,
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

The actual space left in the case is the most important factor. If the powder is compressed too much you can get an increase in pressure.

Look at the bullets side by side. If the Rogers bullets have more lead up front they probably don't stick into the case as far and are OK to seat shorter.

Also a quick look at some reloading data (please check it yourself to make sure) shows 4.3 gr max for a 230 gr lead bullet. The pressure was listed as 16,400 cup. Other powders show pressured up to 20,000 cup. Seems like you have a decent safety margin.

It is interesting they have a load for a 230 gr Jacketed that goes up to 4.9 gr WST. Usually jacketed bullets give higher pressures than lead in Pistols. Not sure what to make of this.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

(Chester County)

Jacketed bullets usually require a heavier load (higher pressure) to get them moving out of the case and down the barrel. Cast lead/alloy bullets have greater lubricity and in most (if not all cases) require a smaller powder throw to send them along their way.

In general, jacketed bullets require a heavier load, plated bullets a lighter load on the low end of jacketed data for the same caliber, and lead bullets still lesser amounts than plated.

If you think about it in culinary terms, it's sort of like the difference between spitting an avocado pit, a peach pit, or a watermelon seed.

Well, hopefully, you get the gist..
    - bamboomaster

(Montgomery County)

A couple observations.
    - I have a couple boxes of 230 gr Fmj. Remington and Magtech. Both have an OAL of 1.260
    - I haven't loaded Rogers 230 gr round noses, but I have about 750 of his 200 gr rounds finished. OAL is 1.250
    - I don't think Roger reads the forums here, but I know his staff does. Expect someone to pass along your question to him. Or call the shop on Tuesday. Roger's customer service is awesome when it comes to reloading info.
    - as far as your small primer brass? Find some one that loads it and get rid of it. Otherwise it can easily find its way back into your press while you are loading large primers and that is a pain. I know AJ at Kings loads it for his own use.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Or call the shop on Tuesday. Roger's customer service is awesome when it comes to reloading info.
    Really good advice, IMO. The staff was very helpful to me when I was getting started, and gave advice over the phone and in person at the store in selection of Roger's bullets and reloading info for them specifically.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    I think the MIN OAL is 1.2 for 45acp
    1.190 per SAAMI specs, page 49: http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/205.pdf I consider this a good reference to check.

A case gauge comes in handy when working with new bullets. Like some I pull my barrel.
    Last edited by cephas; January 5th, 2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: fix
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Philadelphia County)

oh yea customer service is great until they get your money that is
    lets just say I will think twice before I purchase from them in the future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast