Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Does PA meet IL "Substantially Similar" definition?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I'm curious how this works.

According to the statute, to qualify as an instructor one must qualify for a IL license. In order for a non-resident to qualify for an IL license...the "substantially similar" issue comes into play. Since PA is not "sub. similiar" how does a PA resident become an IL instructor?

Section 25 is Qualifications for a license.
    Section 25 doesn't require a license... it outlines the qualifications for getting one. So I don't interpret this to mean the non-resident instructor must have actually been issued an IL CCL.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    Section 25 doesn't require a license... it outlines the qualifications for getting one. So I don't interpret this to mean the non-resident instructor must have actually been issued an IL CCL.
    Don't have to have one but you do have to meet the qualifications for getting one. So a non-resident who wants to be an instructor would have to meet the qualifications of a non-resident, correct?

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Don't have to have one but you do have to meet the qualifications for getting one. So a non-resident who wants to be an instructor would have to meet the qualifications of a non-resident, correct?
    Almost correct... Actually, the non-resident instructor must meet the qualifications for obtaining an IL FFL as defined in Section 25. There are other requirements imposed upon those interested in obtaining a non-resident FFL, such as possessing a concealed carry license permit from his or her state. Those additional requirements are defined in Section 40.

It may be easiest to read those sections yourself as well as the administrative rules (still in draft) to help understand the nuances of each.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    Spoke to the LT in the IL State Police gun permitting unit when I phoned about my application to be an approved IL concealed weapons instructor. He indicated that to date the only states who meet the "substantially similar" are CA, NJ, and Hawaii.
    That is so very ridiculous that it is actually funny as hell. I would say that the 3 states that are most like IL regarding 2A rights would be CA, NJ and HI. Simply crazy. How can they possibly say that with a straight face.

It's kind of ridiculous IL wants this for a non-resident permit. What difference does it make that your state's permit is similiar to IL's? IL can simply require what they want, you apply and either meet the qualifications or not,case closed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    It's kind of ridiculous IL wants this for a non-resident permit. What difference does it make that your state's permit is similiar to IL's? IL can simply require what they want, you apply and either meet the qualifications or not,case closed.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to say it around here ), but doesn't the 'substantially similar' requirement have to do with reciprocity, not a non-res permit? I haven't read all of it yet, as avoiding Illinois is easier than avoiding Ohio...

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to say it around here ), but doesn't the 'substantially similar' requirement have to do with reciprocity, not a non-res permit? I haven't read all of it yet, as avoiding Illinois is easier than avoiding Ohio...
    Unfortunately, no. That language is specific to requirements for non-residents wishing to apply for an IL CCL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123