Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Exclamation Bodyguard 380 light hammer strikes

Both my friend and i both own bodyguard 380's and we both get light hammer strikes. After our last range visit we found that our bg380's could not shoot cheap ammo like Tula or wolf (purchased in bulk during the ammo shortage). The guns maybe fire 1 out of 3 rounds. Does anyone else have this trouble with there bg's? Is there any way to get stronger hammer strikes? Stronger hammer spring, send back to smith for a factory look over.

We both do not have not had any trouble shooting quality ammo. I still carry without question that this gun will fire the Speer gold dots or hydro shocks that i tested a lot and carry. With that said i still wish the hammer strikes were harder.

Any thoughts advise or fixes?

Overall i love the gun as a carry piece.

Default Re: Bodyguard 380 light hammer strikes

The commie steel cased ammo often has hard primers vs better quality brass cased ammo. I am not real familier with the design of the Bodyguard however a stronger hammer spring may have side effects, like an increase in trigger pull weight, pierced primers and etc. Myself I would be more inclined to use better brass ammo though I reload my own. The cost of .380 is overpriced IMO and availability is still not up to what it should be.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CityOfSteel View Post
    Both my friend and i both own bodyguard 380's and we both get light hammer strikes. After our last range visit we found that our bg380's could not shoot cheap ammo like Tula or wolf (purchased in bulk during the ammo shortage). The guns maybe fire 1 out of 3 rounds. Does anyone else have this trouble with there bg's? Is there any way to get stronger hammer strikes? Stronger hammer spring, send back to smith for a factory look over.

We both do not have not had any trouble shooting quality ammo. I still carry without question that this gun will fire the Speer gold dots or hydro shocks that i tested a lot and carry. With that said i still wish the hammer strikes were harder.

Any thoughts advise or fixes?

Overall i love the gun as a carry piece.
    Sorry to hear about your trouble. I think the only solution is to ditch the cheap ammo and buy better quality. Sorry!

I was looking at these and decided not to buy after I tried them as I did not like the trigger. That said, S&W advised me when I called about the firing pin / light strike issues that the primers on foreign ammo are "harder" than those on american made ammo and that one should stick to american ammo with these guns. Also, they are not range guns so I would not think this is a cost prohibitive thing. Would not expect to do bullseye competition with one of these.

(Columbia County)

I had problems with Sellier & Bellot as well, 2 light strikes out of 50.

S&B is another one that is known for hard primers. Along with tight primer pockets.

(Adams County)

My BG380 is getting ready to go back to S&W for the THIRD TIME for light primer strikes. 3 different types of ammo - CCI, Hornady CD, Winchester Supreme Elite.

Initially I was getting a mix of light and good strikes, sent it back and they replaced the firing pin and plunger.

The result of that was consistent light strikes... every shot. Sometimes enough to fire the round, but every one just barely dented. Sent it back and they replaced the slide.

Took it to the range this weekend and got a mix of light and normal strikes.

That being said, the folks on the S&W warranty line are pleasant, and they pay shipping both ways, but heck, they've paid more for shipping this thing back and forth than they made on the gun.

Hokkmike Guest

Have not had this problem. I would not use cheaper ammo in my HD gun. The Bodyguard is great except for the l-o-n-g trigger pull.

Size + Accuracy + Reliability - Trigger Pull = B+.

One time in a very cold country a man said my weapon misfired all 6 rounds.
    He used motor oil for lubrication

I would clean out the firing pin hole good and polish it with emery paper and use a very light gun oil.
    Then I would ~(.)-(.)~ at the spring,

(Blair County)

Stay away from the cheap import ammo like Wolfe and Tula. We have "3" Bodyguards in the family (my wife, and two of my daughters).... never had any issues with light strikes... occasional FTE or FTF but that is because the ladies limp wrist it at times... once the grip is addressed we have no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast