Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OC/CC thoughts

(Philadelphia County)

Default OC/CC thoughts

I admit I was at first hesitant to embrace the idea of open carry. While I supported others in their efforts to spread gun awareness through OC; I personally felt that it was better if one had to use it that the BG didn't see it coming. Also, I admit that in certain circumstances a criminal or criminals may single you out or attack you first due to the presence of the gun.

However, I have been convinced the more I read that OC is one of the best ways to spread awareness of gun rights, and to get interested people who wouldn't have otherwise inquired about shooting to ask. It seems to me like a nice easy thing for people to do to raise public awareness of our efforts.

All of that said I also feel that there is a time and a place for OC and CC. For example, at 3am on spring garden in Philadelphia it is probably not the right time for OC, but an excellent time for CC. While it is an excellent time for OC in a grocery store in a suburb midday if one is comfortable doing so, and still an excellent time for CC if not.

As a very intelligent man once said, "Everything is Relative". This is my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Chester County)

Default Re: OC/CC thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    I admit I was at first hesitant to embrace the idea of open carry. While I supported others in their efforts to spread gun awareness through OC; I personally felt that it was better if one had to use it that the BG didn't see it coming. Also, I admit that in certain circumstances a criminal or criminals may single you out or attack you first due to the presence of the gun.

However, I have been convinced the more I read that OC is one of the best ways to spread awareness of gun rights, and to get interested people who wouldn't have otherwise inquired about shooting to ask. It seems to me like a nice easy thing for people to do to raise public awareness of our efforts.

All of that said I also feel that there is a time and a place for OC and CC. For example, at 3am on spring garden in Philadelphia it is probably not the right time for OC, but an excellent time for CC. While it is an excellent time for OC in a grocery store in a suburb midday if one is comfortable doing so, and still an excellent time for CC if not.

As a very intelligent man once said, "Everything is Relative". This is my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

If I OC it is generally in the day time, at night I switch to CC. I just feel that the more of the criminal element is out at night and then I like to have the element of surprise. OC in the day time for me is better,as the gun is more easily seen and gives me a chance to provide some education if need be.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Dauphin County)

You are absolutely right. As I've always said as a gun owner/carrier and has been said before in other threads:

1) Discretion is the better part of valor.
    2) We OC or CC for OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL REASONS!

I, for one, will never tell someone that one method of carry is better than the other. I OC or CC dependent on many factors, including mood, weather, clothing, and environment. There is no right or wrong, and no "blanket" way to determine which method is proper in any given scenario.

"Everything is relative". Hmm........so true.

-38SnubFan

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    You are absolutely right. As I've always said as a gun owner/carrier and has been said before in other threads:

1) Discretion is the better part of valor.
    2) We OC or CC for OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL REASONS!

I, for one, will never tell someone that one method of carry is better than the other. I OC or CC dependent on many factors, including mood, weather, clothing, and environment. There is no right or wrong, and no "blanket" way to determine which method is proper in any given scenario.

"Everything is relative". Hmm........so true.

-38SnubFan

How many times has that line of thought been posted here!!!

+1,000!!!!!!!!!!

(Chester County)

Here we go again...
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Here we go again...
    Save me some of that popcorn. I'll bring a couple beers!

-38SnubFan

Attachment 2174
    10 char.

(Pike County)

Wink Re: OC/CC thoughts

"Everything is Relative" and my relatives want all my things!

(Lehigh County)

Question for jon'76. Why would you use a picture of one of the biggest anti gun ass holes in Hollywood, originally from Austrailia, a country that just handed their gun rights over to a liberal government, as an avitar on a gun forum?
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    Question for jon'76. Why would you use a picture of one of the biggest anti gun ass holes in Hollywood, originally from Austrailia, a country that just handed their gun rights over to a liberal government, as an avitar on a gun forum?

Probably the same reason many members of this forum give money to anti-gun organizations by insuring their vehicles with Progressive Insurance...
    They didn't know.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast