Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Carrying on board a boat on the Delaware river (?)

OK I've been wondering something - let's say I take a ride on a boat in the Delaware river..... I board the boat on the PA side and exit the boat on the PA side. At no time do my feet ever touch NJ soil.

Where does PA end and NJ start? Exactly in the middle of the river? At which point have I broken the law if I'm carrying my pistol on board a riverboat?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Carrying on board a boat on the Delaware river (?)

This is one of those things that it really depends on whether or not you:

A.) Get caught
    B.) Get a nice officer or an asshat
    C.) Are acting appropriately (determined by the officer, but don't give them any reasons)
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Not sure about PA but DE goes to the high tide mark on the Jersey side.

Not sure how the Coast Guard looks at it though.

(Chester County)

I saw on a map that it was dead center of the river.When you go over the bridge from PA TPKE to NJ TPKE on top dead center are 2 signs one is PA one is NJ. I think it is center.

(Potter County)

I can tell you. me and a freind was boating on the del river about 15 years ago we went to the bars on the del ave my freind was driving the boat we got pulled over buy NJ state troopers buy the boat ramp in bucks county needless to say they arrested him for bwi he tried to fight the charge.nj didnt care he lost

(Delaware County)

Jon'76 is correct on all points.

NJ/PA border is geographically right down the middle, however, both states by law can enforce fishing and boating laws shore to shore. For example, a fishing license from either state is valid on either side.

A Penna. LTCF is a whole different situation. A Penna officer should not give you any problem, but a New Jersey Trooper, especially if you are on their side, may see it differently. The reciprocity applies to fishing and boating, not concealed or open carry. Not sure where the Coast Guard would come down on this.

Boating under the influence is enforced shore to shore by PA and NJ.

On the water, a ferry boat would normally be controlled by the Coast Guard.

Hope this helps

(Northampton County)

Being that the Delaware River is under the authority of the F&BC, how legal is it to carry while on the river? I carry all the time and never had any problems. But then I have not run into any LE personnel.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Delaware County)

shooter357,

Since you are in Easton, the only LE agencies you would run into would be PF&BC or NJ State Police Marine units (unlikely that far up the river). You should be fine - we don't ask and you don't have to tell.

With the advent of Homeland Security, the lower end if the river has an increasing number of municipalities that got federal funds to buy boats. To the best of my knowledge, only the PFBC, NJ State Police and the Coast Guard have the statutory authority to initiate a boat stop, issue citations, or make an arrest. The others are basically there to provide port security.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PropCop View Post
    shooter357,

Since you are in Easton, the only LE agencies you would run into would be PF&BC or NJ State Police Marine units (unlikely that far up the river). You should be fine - we don't ask and you don't have to tell.

With the advent of Homeland Security, the lower end if the river has an increasing number of municipalities that got federal funds to buy boats. To the best of my knowledge, only the PFBC, NJ State Police and the Coast Guard have the statutory authority to initiate a boat stop, issue citations, or make an arrest. The others are basically there to provide port security.
    Add philly police to that list... they have a marine unit, with boats. I'm sure that despite their lack of authority to initiate stops, Nutter gave them the green light to interpret the law in a draconian mindset similar to his own, so beware.

(Delaware County)

You would have to consult a navigational chart to be sure but in my experience in situations where state boundaries are defined by a major river the MIDDLE of the navigation channel (as delineated and marked by the U.S. Coast Guard and Corp of Engineers) represent the technical state boundary.

Keep in mind that many of the islands in the Delaware River are NJ territory. I have seen people having picnics on these islands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast