Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Big Snow and Frigid Temps

Thinking tomorrow and saturday will be great days to be out for deer after the heavy snow. Anyone else plan on being out there? I want to get on some fresh tracks and stalk the brown furry bastards and find out where they are hiding.

Default Re: Big Snow and Frigid Temps

I'll be trying to get out there Saturday with the flinter. I'm going to put my cams back out while I'm at it. I swear I found a fresh rub New Years Day? Saw no deer then, and it was rather 'crunchy' out.

I might try to get out this afternoon. Depends what time the wife gets home from work! If not today, then tomorrow for sure.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    I'll be trying to get out there Saturday with the flinter. I'm going to put my cams back out while I'm at it. I swear I found a fresh rub New Years Day? Saw no deer then, and it was rather 'crunchy' out.

Any shavings on the ground? I cant really see any based on the picture...if it's an area you normally hunt and just saw it that's awesome....but what sucks is alot of rubs made in early december still look fresh

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    I might try to get out this afternoon. Depends what time the wife gets home from work! If not today, then tomorrow for sure.
    I drove to work today and plan on leaving after lunch to hit the woods...ill walk around for an hour or two then sit for the closing daylight hours next to a bean field that was harvested earlier in the season...maybe they will come out and try to scrounge some food

Quote Originally Posted by football061 View Post
    Any shavings on the ground? I cant really see any based on the picture...if it's an area you normally hunt and just saw it that's awesome....but what sucks is alot of rubs made in early december still look fresh
    Yes no doubt. The thing that got me hot was the shaving hanging off at the bottom. We've had wind and snow and rain over the past few weeks and I would expect a rub to not look this fresh, right?! There appeared to be a scrape right here too (broken branch), but it had just snowed what you see on the ground. I didn't see any tracks, and I looked for the rub line but didn't find it. I'm going to put a cam on it when I go back.

I should add that no, this was a new area of a new property that I didn't hunt until this past Wednesday this season.
    Last edited by CL3; January 3rd, 2014 at 12:05 PM.

Smile Re: Big Snow and Frigid Temps

Rubs and scrapes are pretty common this time of year, just not as much. We still have some chasing going on here. Will be out tomorrow on prowl. Gonna hit known bedding areas since tomorrow is our last day of muzzleloader. Next Friday and Saturday we have 2 regular gun days. Sunday also in certain counties and private property. Already have that one figured out. Good luck to all who venture out.

(Monroe County)

Im going to try and make it out for tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow morning will be too cold for me.

(Montgomery County)

Went out and got within 100 yards of a really big doe...Unfortunately I was hunting with my crossbow in hopes of seeing a buck after the snow. Needless to say had I had my rifled slug barrel and my hornady SST's I'd be having backstraps for dinner

(Luzerne County)

I went out with my Uncle this morning, I seen 3 doe, no shot, and my uncle shot a large doe.Gonna help him cut it up in the morning.Dress warm, I was cold beyond enjoyment within an hour of being in the woods.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast