Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default starting reloading

so i just got in my first reloading press. i went with the lee classic 4 hole turret press kit. and with many of my other posts on here i mention i currently live in New York, but i am doing everything in my power to make sure i will be moving to Mansfield this July.. I will be getting dies to start reloading for my 30-30 and 7.52x54R.

the only real advice i am looking for is the fact that when i move i have every intention of picking up a glock 17 or 19 once i get my drivers license in PA (used to own a 23 when i lived in south carolina and am a glock fanboy) and was thinking about starting to reload 9mm while i am here in new york a little bit at a time just plinking ammo this way when i move i would already have some ammo to be able to go to the range and put in time shooting and less of a hit on my wallet. or is this type of thinking not advised. i have some reloading books and will be doing a good bit of reading before i start any of this

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: starting reloading

Generally it is a bad idea.

Gather up the components and stock up on those until you make the purchase and can test out the rounds to make sure they are acceptable.

It would suck to make a few hundred, or thousand rounds only to find out they won't run in your firearm.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post

Gather up the components and stock up on those until you make the purchase and can test out the rounds to make sure they are acceptable.

It would suck to make a few hundred, or thousand rounds only to find out they won't run in your firearm.
    thanks that was what i was thinking, but never even crossed my mind to start getting the components

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    thanks that was what i was thinking, but never even crossed my mind to start getting the components
    For some reason Glock doesn't like lead bullets, and using them will void the factory warranty.
    If you purchase a used Glock does it still have a warranty, and do you care?
    I know people that use lead anyway, with no problem.
    Just a thought as you buy components.
    As long as you stay within specs as you reload, there should be no problem with feeding the 9mm, but, I would run the 30-30 through my rifle just to make sure.
    The reason being, 9mm headspaces on the length of the casing, on the rim. The 30-30 headspaces on the shoulder.
    This can change by turning the forming die in more, or out more, so it is determined by you, the loader.
    Be sure and get a set of calipers right away, so you may check case length, overall length, etc.
    They can even be bought at Advance Auto, and Auto Zone, and cost around $25. Worth every penny. I would never use them for machine work, but they are fine for reloading.
    Good luck on your new hobby, you'll love it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post

+1 on this.

Gather components if possible but remember that you are living in NY so if there is trouble getting them due to the new regs or people adopting new hobbies like reloading don't compete with those people. You can find components in PA.

Read up on reloading for glocks. You may want to look at a replacement barrel if you want to use lead. I know that some say to go for it with the stock barrel but for a hundred dollars I would change it out. Just my thought.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    As long as you stay within specs as you reload, there should be no problem with feeding the 9mm, but, I would run the 30-30 through my rifle just to make sure.
    The reason being, 9mm headspaces on the length of the casing, on the rim. The 30-30 headspaces on the shoulder.
    This can change by turning the forming die in more, or out more, so it is determined by you, the loader.
    Be sure and get a set of calipers right away, so you may check case length, overall length, etc.

30-30 headspaces on the rim, although you can affect case life and whether it will chamber by how much you resize the case. Big bugaboo with 30-30 is crimping. Too much, you bulge the case neck and they won't chamber, too little and the bullet moves back into the case (in the tube magazine) when the gun recoils. Need to have uniform case lengths before crimping.

+1 on the calipers and loving reloading.

Dale

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    For some reason Glock doesn't like lead bullets, and using them will void the factory warranty.
    If you purchase a used Glock does it still have a warranty, and do you care?
    I know people that use lead anyway, with no problem.

They can even be bought at Advance Auto, and Auto Zone, and cost around $25. Worth every penny. I would never use them for machine work, but they are fine for reloading.
    Every gun manufacturer warranty contains a "void if reloaded ammo is used". It's a lawyer thing. They have no idea what quality control is in place for reloaded ammo. They also have no way of knowing if you use lead (it can be cleaned out easily)
    I know a plenty of guys that run unjacketed lead through their Glocks. Just check the shooters at an IDPA match. The trick, I believe, is to use hard lead bullets. Pure lead will foul a barrel. Lead alloys can be made harder so they don't foul.

I've gotten some nice calipers at Harbor Freight. If you go there, get the metal calipers not the plastic ones. The jaws on the plastic ones wear out after a while.

Case gauges are an important accessories too. You can also remove the barrel from your gun and use it as a gauge.

(Carbon County)

PKspawn, What does the little sentence about Chinese bullets mean?

(Montgomery County)

LoL, It is a play on how you are hungry 15-30mins after eating chinese food.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Northampton County)

lots of guys with Glocks shoot the lead bullets made by Bayou Bullets.
    Check out their website.
    Teaching people how to shoot safely and accurately for 54 years. www.gunskills.com