Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Start reloading?

I've been doing more shooting than I used to be able to. I'm starting to think about reloading. Which leads me to a few questions.

Is it still possible to get components in enough quantity to make it worth while?

I've been shooting mostly 12ga since I've take up trap, but if I had more 9mm I could actually shoot my handgun with some regularity. Can I start out loading one of these 2 or am I better off working up stuff like hunting ammo or accurate rounds for my AR?

What kind of reading should I do? Specific forums? Books?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Start reloading?

Just my opinion.

I got into reloading because ammo started to dry up.

I've seen no shortage of shotgun rounds. I'm not ready to invest in loading equipment for the low round count I use (100 rounds a week). Maybe later.

I have no problems finding components in my area. No idea what the supply is like in the stores near you. Keep an eye on the shelves of your local stores. If you see a box of small pistol primers, grab them. You will need them at some point. 1,000 per box, sets you up for a little while. You can also buy online.

If you can find a pre-owned loading press, check it out. You may be able to save some money and you will always be able to resell it if you decide to upgrade. You can easily find a machine that will make both 9mm and .223, but shotgun shells will be a different machine.

Given the supply and pricing of .223 and 9mm, you will recoup your investment pretty quick.

(Lawrence County)

Shotgun and pistol ammo are two different setups. It's still worth it because loaded ammo has gone up along with components.

You can load rifle and pistol on the same press, but shotgun is another beast and requires a different setup.

Lycanrepeatshimselinoldagethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Tioga County)

A year ago I thought reloading was something old timers did when they retired. In most cases previously I just threw away my brass or gave it away.

Then when the ammo crisis and the left started shaking the gun control rattle, I thought why am I throwing away a basic component of ammunition? Maybe I should learn another life skill and put my brass to use.

So what I started doing and what helped me was watching youtube videos on reloading. That way I could see people doing it and see different perspectives as well. It gave me insight into what kind of equipment I might want or need. Also seeing all that made the reloading manuals make more sense when I sat down to read those. Right now I am reading the Speer manual and will read the hornady manual next.

Do you save money? I think over time you do, especially with a progressive press. Right now I have the most basic gear so it's more labor intensive, but I reckon going slow and learning bit by bit is best. Later I can upgrade to more efficient, more expensive gear.

(Berks County)

I have been asked more times this year than I have ever been asked in prior years combined if I saved money by reloading. My answer is NO I just get to shoot a whole lot more for the same money.

I don't load shotshells at this time due to the relatively low cost when purchasing by the case. Years ago it would have been well worth reloading shotshells but since the price of shot, powder and primers have gone up as much as they did especially shot its hard to justify the expense of the loader and time. I will say that if I found a good deal on the equipment I would buy it and sit on it till I feel the availability drops or the price goes up to where the savings will benefit.

As far as cartridge loads go, if you only shoot occasionally it will take a while to pay for itself. If you shoot a lot it will pay for itself rather quickly. Also remember there are more benefits to reloading than just the cost. When availability drops you can still enjoy shooting if you have components, you can also load according to each firearms needs.

I actually enjoy sitting at the loading bench. It's also a good feeling knowing that when you shoot your reloads that you did them yourself.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    . . . I'm starting to think about reloading. Is it still possible to get components in enough quantity to make it worth while?
    Yes. Dunno what your local supply situation is. If you keep, say, a 6 month supply of components on hand you will find replacement components on line. The only issue is hazmat shipping fees. You used to be able to share the fee and shipping costs across a combined powder/primer load, but now you have to buy your components when available.

I've been shooting mostly 12ga since I've take up trap, . . .
    Shotgun and pistol/rifle are different presses and processes. If all you use are trap target loads, you won't save much - maybe $1-$1.50 a box unless you have a low-cost local supply of lead shot and powder. At $5 savings per week, it will take a long time to recoup your equipment investment.

but if I had more 9mm I could actually shoot my handgun with some regularity.
    A box of 50x9mm costs me about $7 (ignoring brass, it lasts lonnnng) using plated bullets. FMJ would cost more, lead would cost less. Start saving your brass.

Can I start out loading one of these 2 or am I better off working up stuff like hunting ammo or accurate rounds for my AR?
    55gr FMJ 223 rounds cost me about $0.09 for bullet, $0.08 for powder, and 0.03 for primer. Assuming 10 firings, buying once fired brass would add $0.02 per round. Other rifle rounds can save you more or less depending on what you shoot. Start saving your brass . . . and picking up others when you can.

Start with a rifle or a pistol caliber, whichever you will shoot the most of.

What kind of reading should I do? Specific forums? Books?
    Check Hornady, Lee, RCBS, Lyman for tutorials/videos to see equipment in action (I forget which ones have tutorials; I don't think Dillon has any IIRC). Watch some youtube videos . . . but often keep the sound off lol. Read the ABCs of Reloading on google read. Then come back and ask some questions - by then you'll have some ideas on what you need to do next.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; December 30th, 2013 at 04:59 AM.

You can still get supplies. I've always been able to find everything I need either locally or online. Since ammo prices went up, you can reload for less than half the cost of buying new if you collect enough brass. For me some calibers are closer to 1/3 of the cost. Just picking up whats at the range and new ammo I've bought over the years I've never had to buy brass.

If you want to start out cheap I would recommend Lee presses. I loaded thousands of rounds on my Lee turret press. They get the job done and are actually pretty reliable.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Pistol:

Powder such as Bullseye $24 for a pound. There are 7000 grains to a pound. If a pistol cartridge takes 5 grains, 7000 divided by 5 = 1400 rounds @ .017 cents each. (That's a bit less than 2 cents).

Primers $38 per thousand, 3.8 cents each.

You can buy 500 hard lead bullets for about $48 = 9.6 cents each or jacketed for about double.

Rifle:

now you are using more of powder that may cost a little more ($28) per pound. I think I get 197 rounds out of a pound of powder either in .223 or .308, forget which. Primers cost about the same. Pull-down Jacketed SP bullets can be had for about a 10 cents apiece. Or there are more expensive bullets as can be researched in online catalogs.

Brass longevity....ain't gonna start that argument. I know mine last quite a while over time. But I don't shoot hundreds per week.

I got started in reloading in the early 1970s. I had an Arisaka action barreled in .22-250 and was disappointed in its performance using available commercial ammo. In short order I had 5 in less than a half inch @ 100 yards with a load I worked up.

For me, pistol reloading is about money and rifle reloading is about money and accuracy.

Invest in it. You won't regret it. Read, research, ask. Buy a few reloading manuals. Don't hesitate to contact component companies with a question. All have tech support and are glad to help a customer, in my experience.
    Last edited by Bang; December 30th, 2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: re-do some math.

(Chester County)

^^^^^ Your cost seem a little high. I get primers for $35/1000, and lead cast bullets for $35.85/500 locally.

(Berks County)

The Lyman book (49th looks like the most current) is a good place to start. I would then say a simple single stage press to learn the basics. 9mm straight wall case is relatively easy. From there you can move to a basic progressive like a Lee for 9mm.

Rifle stuff is another animal and requires a bit more and the learning curve is a little more but the basics remain. When you get to this stage I highly recommend this trimmer(by caliber so it's not a 1 time buy for everything). It's expensive but after messing with a couple of different types this is simply awesome and worth every penny. I don't see a need for this for pistol brass. If the brass is too long just throw it out.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast