Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Start reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by beex215 View Post
    everyone should get into reloading. i got into it about one year later after my first gun purchase. i even think that was late.
    Agreed.....I always say you won't save money but you will shoot a lot more. For the same price as bringing on box of ammo you can bring a big bag of it.

The huge savings come when you go off the deep end and start casting your own bullets. With a little ingenuity you can scrounge lead for free. Then after you buy a Lee 6 cavity mold for $40 you have a lifetime supply of bullets.

Shot my Makarov today with bullets I cast. Not counting the range pick up brass and scrounged lead (and my time which is worthless). It cost me 3 cents for a primer and 1 cent for powder per shot. I shot 150 rounds for $6! About the same as a .22.

Full powered .45 loads cost about $5 per hundred. It doesn't take long to get you investment back............

(Allegheny County)

I never see "time" factored into the cost of reloaded ammo.

Your time must be worthless.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

I said it was...........

Actually I enjoy reloading so I don't count time spent playing in my basement as "work". I would rater be doing that then watching reruns on TV.

It doesn't take that long anyway. What does a box of .45's cost....$30? (if you can find it) vs $2.50 cast reloaded. Go to the range and shoot 200 rounds and you save $110 (hope my math works?). And Yes, on a good day at the range I will shoot more than that. Even figuring out your savings as an hourly wage its still OK.
    Last edited by Delkal; December 31st, 2013 at 01:11 AM.

(Tioga County)

True, if you factor in time, then in one way you don't come out ahead.

But the way I look at it is this. In the spring, summer, fall, when I am not working, I am outside doing all sorts of activities and sports. In the winter, other than plowing and clearing snow and some snowshoeing if possible, I'm not outside much. So I reckon in the 9 months of the year when weather is reasonable I'll shoot and then in the winter when I have some down days, I can sit in the barn and reload to stock up for the rest of the year. I think especially in summer the only thing I might do much is maybe decap, resize and clean brass and then leave the rest of it for winter.

(Adams County)

do you get paid for your leisure time ? do you get paid to set in front of the t.v. and have brain cells killed ? or do you get paid to set in a bar and kill brain cells? if you are not doing a job that pays 24/7 that you have to clock out to reload then you can not count time.

in fact if it keeps you from one of the activities list above. then it is another advantage.

(Bucks County)

It's a hobby that pays for itself. Not something that can be said of most pastimes.

That said, if reloading is not fun for you, you most definitely should not do it. It does require some concentration.

(Chester County)

I find reloading relaxing. I just put on the radio, or listen to something on my laptop, and for an hour or two make bullets. Sometime I will wait until Saturday morning and make bullets right before I go to the range. It isn't difficult, and it is nice to ignore the high prices of ammo at the stores. I like to shoot .45ACP, and .45 Colt in addition to 9MM, and a few others. Have you seen the prices of .45 Colt lately?

(Luzerne County)

I have been reloading for a long time. Honestly, I cannot say that I enjoy it....but I very much enjoy what reloading allows me to do....shoot a lot and shoot accurately.
    The comment about time....always crops up. What is my time worth? The question has been well answered....when I can load a box of 50 target grade .45 ACPs for $3.50 (in about ten minutes, taking my time) as opposed to buying the same quality for $35.00(+gasoline back and forth 25 miles each way), I consider myself well paid.
    About shotshells, nowadays the only way that one can make any savings by reloading is if you can buy shot by the ton or make your own. Neither is particularly worthwhile unless you are shooting thousands of shells a year.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Bucks County)

If you don't have "free" time, you won't reload.

(Jefferson County)

lol

If I've worked less than 50hrs in a week, I apply my typical hourly pay rate to personal things until I get to 50hrs. After 50hrs I consider it my personal free time. Which costs vary depending on how much energy I have and how much I want to do whatever it is.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast