Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Glock Replacement Barrels

I'm thinking of getting a standard rifling barrel just to shoot lead reloads in my 19s. Anybody have any experience with Lone Wolf, Bar-Sto, Storm Lake, or Wilson Combat barrels?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Glock Replacement Barrels

Or, just save your money and shoot your reloads out of the factory barrel. It's a myth that lead bullets cause problems. Poorly made reloads cause problems, even with after-market barrels. Most of the top competition shooters that shoot Glocks and reload, use the factory barrels.

Edit: Bullets matter, though. Some will be softer than others. If you have a relatively hard bullet and clean your barrel as necessary, you won't have problems.
    Last edited by 625; December 24th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

I've read all the pros & cons, thanks. My lead reloads are hard cast (Rogers) and they tell me they shoot them all the time in IDPA, etc. I've also heard Glock's position. On balance, I'm considering a drop-in replacement.

What I'm looking for is opinions on various replacement barrels from folks who have used them.

(Berks County)

Used a Lone Wolf on a 17. Great quality, dropped right in just like a factory barrel. Zero issues.

I know there are 2 schools of thought about needing to change the barrel out on glocks (when reloading). If I remember correctly it broke down into, if you use FMJ reloads you should be fine but the lead could potentially lead to problems due to clogging up the factory rifling quickly. For a bit over $100 it seemed like a no brainer to have standard rifling. If you shoot a 40 there was an additional benefit of having additional chamber support which you would want with reloads.

(Lancaster County)

I too have heard many instances of people shooting lead through factory barrels with no ill effects. I have no experience doing it myself though. I do have a lone wolf 357 barrel in my model 27 and it has never been an issue. If you can get past the stupid engraving they work fine.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

PANRA Guest

I have two EFK Firedragon barrels 357 Sig to 9mm conversion for a Glock 31 and 33. Both work great right out of the box. I didn't have to change anything for the conversion other than magazines.

I have a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G23. The finish isn't as nice as the factory barrels & you have to look at that stupid laser engraved wolf on the barrel hood, but it 's a simple drop-in & I haven't had any problems with it. I've read that the Storm Lake & Barstow barrels are better quality, but they're almost twice the price. If you're just using it for range/practice, then a Lone Wolf will do.

If you're reloading, you could also try Berry or Rainier plated bullets. I've used them in my factory Glock barrels for several years. They're less expensive than FMJ's but slightly more than lead.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

Isn't there an option and 25 dollar fee for no engraved logo? On the Lone Wolf.

I have KKM barrels in all 3 of my Glock gen 3's ( 2 10mm's and a .40). I did it primarily because I feel more comfortable with the more fully supported chamber and secondarily because I do shoot mostly lead reloads. I also added a .357 Sig KKM barrel on my G23. KKM makes a fine barrel.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(York County)

I have two lonewolf drop in barrels, a threaded for my g19 and a standard length fully supported for my G20. Both are just fine and are working very well. The price and availability of lonewolf was the selling point for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast