Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Smile Warm day got me tuning for groundhogs (pics)

Sorry but this is just a bragging thread. I've been getting the itch to shoot my rifle and today was a good day to go out. I've already got a mean load with this gun for 70gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips but I had played with a light load with the 87's as well. I wanted to tune up a higher node load and I kinda lucked into my first guess.

These were done with 87gr. Berger VLD hunting bullets and I want to see if they perform well on groundhogs. The bergers are supposed to shred apart to many pieces after a few inches of penetration so they "should" be good varmint bullet as well. I got these puppies going just over 3300 fps with only 34.6gr. of powder.

Also fellow varminters please feel free to post you rigs, groups, specs., etc. I love talking varmint hunting

3 shot groups @ 100yards

3 shot group @ 200 yards

"Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Warm day got me tuning for groundhogs (pics)

Looks to be pretty bad news for the Whistle-pigs out east. Good shooting...
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Washington County)

That's a beautiful rifle and I have to compliment you on your 3-round groups. I typically do all my hunting with the same rifle, no matter if groundhogs, coyotes, or deer, and that's my Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 with Leupold scope and a Huntertown Arms Kestrel .308 Suppressor.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Luzerne County)

Nice shooting and nice rig you have there. Ive been thinking of getting out and shooting mine. My favorite grizzly gun is my Remington XR-100 in 22-250.Got it trued, timney trigger, glass bedded, with a bushnell trophy 6-24X50. Planning on some new glass to top it off for this summer coming up.It loves the federal Match Sierra Game King BTHP's. Ill try to dig it out and get a pic up of it for ya.

(York County)

Thanks for the compliments fellas. Disturbed: if you can get those pics up that would be cool. I like looking over varmint rigs. What's you load for it?

Smile Re: Warm day got me tuning for groundhogs (pics)

Sure you were not in the MARINE CORP with those groupings,lol.Excellent shooting skills,do you also eat the groundhogs ? neighbor wants to cook a few to see what thy tase like.

(Chester County)

Maybe I missed it, but what caliber is that? What type of barrel are you using, and how long is it. Beautiful rig!

The chucks are goin down!

(York County)

MD2: Sorry but no marine skills there just lots of hunting. I personally do not eat the groundhogs, I've known of a few guys that do. They seem to favor the younger ones with lots of BBQ sauce, I guess so it will taste like BBQ sauce

Pilot: That barrel is chambered in a 6mm Dasher. Its an improved version of the 6mm BR. The barrel itself is 1:12 Krieger @ 28" long chambered by Mr. Hammonds out of Red Lion.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    Pilot: That barrel is chambered in a 6mm Dasher. Its an improved version of the 6mm BR. The barrel itself is 1:12 Krieger @ 28" long chambered by Mr. Hammonds out of Red Lion.
    Thanks that sounds excellent. I don't know much about either of those rounds, as I have been focused on the 6.5mm projectile, and chamberings of late. I will check it out. That rifle is almost unfair to the groundhogs, lol!.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Thanks that sounds excellent. I don't know much about either of those rounds, as I have been focused on the 6.5mm projectile, and chamberings of late. I will check it out. That rifle is almost unfair to the groundhogs, lol!.

I hope its unfair, its one thing to do a nice group from the bench but it can be tough to dope those long range shots on hogs. What 6.5's you got? I've actually tossed around the idea of doing a 6.5x284 with a brake on this gun, trying to run the 123 A-max's for the groundhogs but man its $$$ to even change calibers so I'm up in the air but I like launching groundhogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast