Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GSG5 as first rifle?

I'm not actually sure if the GSG5 is legal in my local area, but I recently read about it and was intrigued. I'm thinking about taking up target shooting as something to do on the weekends. What do you guys think about the GSG5 as a first firearm?

Basically, all I want is a fun firearm. A friend advised me to get a bolt action .22LR because it'd have a longer range and more accuracy, plus a lower price, but I'm not sure. I just don't know if I'd use a bolt action, and the most expensive piece of gear is the one you don't use.

I'm pretty certain that I want a .22LR for the low ammunition cost. Anything in a bigger caliber looks like it'd get pretty expensive. I don't really mind the higher up-front cost, but I think high ammunition costs would drag me down and make the whole experience less fun. I want something that I can take out to a range without worrying about breaking the bank.

Beyond that, I want something relatively simple. Easy to shoot, easy to take apart and clean. No big fuss, no big mess. I don't want it for self-defense, and I'm not looking to prove anything.

I don't think I want to mount the rifle with optics. Most of my shooting would probably be in indoor 75ft ranges, and I figure iron sights are probably OK for that. But it'd be nice if I could mount an inexpensive scope on some kind of high-profile rail with a hole underneath to still use my iron sights, in case I can find an outdoor range. I assume this is all possible, but to be honest with my almost non-existent knowledge of firearms I'm just making an educated guess.

Any thoughts? I've read other places that the GSG5 has some manufacturing problems (loose stocks, bad rear sights with no elevation adjustment), but those issues may be fixed in a few months. I won't seriously consider getting one until then, but even so I'd like to know if it's an option I should keep in mind, or if I should just forget it altogether. Also, is there any easy way I can figure out if the GSG5 is legal in my area?

Default Re: GSG5 as first rifle?

First of all my condolences for the laws of the state you live in, there's lots of land here though

I think a gun that you're going to have fun with is going to be a great first gun. So the GSG5 easily fills that role!

Have fun!

(Chester County)

I've never fired a GSG-5, but I plan on purchasing one this summer. However, for the price you will pay for one of them, you can get a decent AK-47; or build your own AK for even less. I'm not sure of the laws regarding battle rifle types in your area, so you'd surely want to check that. For ammunition, .22 is certainly cheaper than 7.62. Although if you want a firearm that is fun, an AK will fill that role. Not to mention who knows the legality of AK's in the next year or so- so getting one while you can might be something worth looking into. Anyway, get whatever you think is within your price range and whatever YOU think you'd have the most fun with. Good luck and keep us updated with your firearm purchase!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Chester County)

Get a Ruger 10/22.

Less than half the price and just as much if not more fun. The thing going for the GSG-5 is it looks like a military rifle. You can put an aftermarket stock on a 10/22 and get a military "tacticool" rifle too.

Here's mine. I just love showin it off. LOL!

That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; May 20th, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Get a Ruger 10/22.

Less than half the price and just as much if not more fun. The thing going for the GSG-5 is it looks like a military rifle. Most people like the looks of it. You can put an aftermarket stock on a 10/22 and get a military "tacticool" rifle too.

Here's mine. I just love showin it off. LOL!

That's my 2 cents.
    I have to agree whole-heartedly with PisnNapalm on this one. You are much better served with the 10/22 if they are legal in your state. You can either keep it standard to stay within the laws of your state or go "tacticool" with it or even get a bull barrel and do your best to turn it into a tack driver much more inexpensively than even the base GSG-5.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    I have to agree whole-heartedly with PisnNapalm on this one. You are much better served with the 10/22 if they are legal in your state. You can either keep it standard to stay within the laws of your state or go "tacticool" with it or even get a bull barrel and do your best to turn it into a tack driver much more inexpensively than even the base GSG-5.

Thanks for agreeing billamj.

My setup as you see it there cost less than a base GSG-5.

$218 = 10/22
    $70 = Tapco T6 stock
    $60 = Bushnell scope
    $15 = Weaver See-Thru rings
    $40 = 22" stainless steel barrel bought used (I liked the longer barrel over the 18.5" one I had)
    $50 = on internal parts (bolt buffer, target hammer, extended mag release and auto bolt release)

Total = $453

I sold my original stock for $30 and original barrel for another $30.

$453 - $60 = $393

EDIT:: Oops... forgot to add the bi-pod for $30 and muzzlebrake for $10.

So.. $433 total. Still cheaper than a GSG5.
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; May 20th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lehigh County)

Let me say from owning a GSG and a 10/22 they are both great guns. I have more rounds through my GSG than I do my 10/22. Reasons being that I use the GSG for plinking cans and the 10/22 I use for bench shooting. You can't go wrong with either of them. If you can't legally own a scary looking GSG in your state get a 10/22.

(Montgomery County)

I am going to disagree with the people suggesting a 10/22. I own 2 10/22's and a gsg-5. The feel of shooting an imitation mp5 is by far leaps and bounds better than the feel of a 10/22. Don't get me wrong, the 10/22 is a nice shooter but no where near as nice as the gsg-5. Also, my experience with hi cap 10/22 mags has been less than stellar. I have only gone through 2 500rnd bricks in the gsg-5 so far and the mags feed reliably.

Owning both, i'd say if you can only get one, i'd go with the gsg-5.

Good luck with your decision.

(Dauphin County)

I also own the Ruger 10/22 and the GSG-5...
    At my gun range everyone I've ran into got to dump a full mag. thru my GSG-5 and love it... And so do I...

Last edited by ssom003; May 20th, 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Thanks for agreeing billamj.

My setup as you see it there cost less than a base GSG-5.

$218 = 10/22
    $70 = Tapco T6 stock
    $60 = Bushnell scope
    $15 = Weaver See-Thru rings
    $40 = 22" stainless steel barrel bought used (I liked the longer barrel over the 18.5" one I had)
    $50 = on internal parts (bolt buffer, target hammer, extended mag release and auto bolt release)
    Wow. That sounds like way too much work for me. I'm probably showing what a gun newbie I am here, but I can't see myself putting that much effort into the rifle. I'm almost a total newcomer to firearms. Replacing internal parts, etc., is out of my league. In my whole life I've put less than 200 rounds down range. Gunsmithing is just not an option.

Truly, I just want something that works out-of-the-box. I'll take it apart to clean and oil it, and maybe attach a scope later if it's easy and I think it'd be worth it, but that's about as far as I want to take maintenance and modification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast