Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    In all likelihood, the top deputy will again be appointed as acting sheriff to serve out her term. He was not known to be NFA friendly when he filled in a few years back.
    Do you know that person's name? Chief Deputy Sheriff Ricci announced his retirement today. Any idea if it's the same person:
    http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/6435

Also, have you guys called Corbett's Southeast office?

Director: Joshua Novotney
    200 S. Broad Street
    11th Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    (215) 560-2640
    Counties Served: Berks, Lehigh, Northampton, Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, Delaware & Philadelphia

He handles Montgomery County. I spoke with him today and he seemed like a good guy. If you're interested in making sure we get a decent replacement Sheriff, take 5 minutes and give him a call. Ask to speak to him directly instead of having his secretary relay the message. He's familiar with the issue, we just need to have people call.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Montco Sheriff is resigning.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden23 View Post
    Do you know that person's name? Chief Deputy Sheriff Ricci announced his retirement today. Any idea if it's the same person:
    http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/6435

Also, have you guys called Corbett's Southeast office?

200 S. Broad Street
    11th Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    (215) 560-2640
    Counties Served: Berks, Lehigh, Northampton, Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, Delaware & Philadelphia

He handles Montgomery County. I spoke with him today and he seemed like a good guy. If you're interested in making sure we get a decent replacement Sheriff, take 5 minutes and give him a call. Ask to speak to him directly instead of having his secretary relay the message. He's familiar with the issue, we just need to have people call.

Yes, It was Ricci.

Does the Governor appoint an interim sheriff or the County Commissioners?

Does the Governor appoint an interim sheriff or the County Commissioners?
    "Gov. Tom Corbett will nominate a candidate to complete Behr’s unexpired term after consulting with county Republican leaders, Vereb said. The nominee must also be confirmed by the Pennsylvania Senate."

http://www.pottsmerc.com/general-new...ob-at-drexel-u

(Montgomery County)

http://www.timesherald.com/general-n...no-for-sheriff

Does anyone know anything about the nominee, Norristown Police Chief Russell Bono?

I did a quick Google search but found nothing that indicates anything about his views on LTCFs or NFA forms.

(Montgomery County)

http://www.timesherald.com/general-n...no-for-sheriff

Does anyone know anything about the nominee, Norristown Police Chief Russell Bono?

I did a quick Google search but found nothing that indicates anything about his views on LTCFs or NFA forms.
    Rumor is that he is no bueno.

(Montgomery County)

Are there any other candidates?

Calling the Gov's office to say "I want a good sheriff" seems vague.
    Calling to say "I want you to appoint Joe Schmoe to be sheriff" seems more on target.
    Last edited by Remington788; January 11th, 2014 at 12:54 PM.

(Bucks County)

Last election, Montco went Democrat for the first time in years. Draw from that.

Ms. Behr may be a nice lady. I really do not know. I do know that I wondered at her commitment to the oath she took as sheriff. At a meeting last year of the Concerned Gun Owners of Bucks County Behr was there, leaning against the wall near the entrance, listening and watching. The meeting made no bones about our feelings that those who took the oath to uphold the constitution were duty-bound to guard the 2nd amendment rights of their constituents. When asked if she would like to address the group, she declined, stating "I'm here to learn".
    I felt she should have already learned about that oath thing long ago.

Are there any other candidates?

Calling the Gov's office to say "I want a good sheriff" seems vague.
    Calling to say "I want you to appoint Joe Schmoe to be sheriff" seems more on target.
    Calling to say that it's important to you that the new sheriff signs Form 4s is specific, and not at all vague.

If you later find someone you prefer, call again and register that with the Governor's office too. It's better to share your concerns early in the process. Even if someone is selected who isn't NFA-friendly, enough people calling about it could be enough for Corbett to suggest that the new Sheriff keep signing the forms.

For anyone this is important to, here's the governor's Montco office contact info again:

200 S. Broad Street
    11th Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    (215) 560-2640

He's familiar with the issue, already. People just need to call him and let him know it's important to you.

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...4214996993.txt

Montgomery County Commissioners said State Representative Mike Vereb (R-150) made the right decision to endorse former Norristown Chief of Police Russell Bono as the next Sheriff of Montgomery County.

Commissioner Castor was a part of the process county republicans went through into recommending Bono to the Governor.

“He was always a very steady, even-tempered man both as a patrol man and as a detective and then as the chief. He was a guy who did not jump to conclusions and made rational decisions. I believe he’ll bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Sheriff’s Department,” Castor said to the press after the meeting.

Castor said he had worked with Bono during his time as an Assistant to the District Attorney and then later as the District Attorney.

According to Castor, a letter recommending Bono would go to Governor Tom Corbett on Thursday and is expected to go to the senate very shortly.

After Corbett makes his recommendation, it has to sit in the senate for 10 business days before it is voted on.

Commissioner Chairman Josh Shapiro said he will miss Behr but believes the search committee made up of Montgomery County Republicans made the right decision.

“I’m sorry to see her go. She’s done a great job as Sheriff,” Shapiro said. “Her departure will leave a void.”

“Commissioner Castor asked me to visit with Chief Bono yesterday. Commissioner Richards was a part of that meeting as well and I’m very comfortable with Chief Bono being our next Sheriff,” Shapiro said.

Shapiro said he hopes Bono receives swift confirmation in the senate.

“I intend to make my views on Bono for this interim assignment to democratic leaders in the state senate and other senators in the democratic caucus who would wish to hear my opinion on the matter,” Shapiro said.

If confirmed, Bono will serve out the rest of the Sheriff’s term which ends in 2015. He will be able to run for a second term if he chooses to.

Sheriff Behr announced that she would be leaving the department on Dec. 20 to take a job at Drexel University. She started at Drexel on Tuesday.

The commissioners would not say if they had someone who will take over the department between the time Behr officially leaves office on Friday and when Bono is confirmed.

The second-in-command would normally be the Deputy Chief of the Sheriff’s Department, however that is not an option because Deptuy Chief Alfred Ricci announced he was retiring from the department on Monday and his last day will be Friday.

“The Sheriff will make a recommendation as to who will assume those responsibilities. Frankly it will be the Sheriff’s announcement to make,” Shapiro said. “I’m confident that whoever she tasks for that initial interim assignment will be someone who can handle it.”

The Sheriff may be making an announcement about who will be head of the department before Bono is confirmed on Friday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast