Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glocks a 1911 Guy Can Appreciate

I took a shooting class a few months ago. While I was there I got an opportunity to shoot a Templar Glock 19. I was pleasantly surprised by the grip angle. I seriously dislike regular Glocks because of their grip angle. (Please commence to tell me how wrong I am). I dislike how you have to tip your wrist forward to get on target. Glocks just don't naturally point for me. IMO, Glock could easily change this. I guess success speaks for itself.

In any event, after doing a lot of research on shops that do Glock mods, I bought a couple of 9mm Glocks. I picked up a 17, 19 and a 34. I grabbed some Ghost trigger bars and some HD night sights. I also changed out the slide stops. Then the 17 and 19 went off to Robar.

Here's what came back:

I can't say enough about the work that was done. The grips are very, very comfortable. They fit perfectly in my hands. They naturally point. The grips are "tacky" in the hand with no slip. They point just like a 1911.

The 17 frame works perfectly with the 34 slide.

I got in a little trigger time tonight and did a lot of drills. I was shooting for speed and not ultimate accuracy. The pistols performed perfectly.

I still love my 1911s, but I now love these Glocks. Perhaps cats and dogs can live together.

Default Re: Glocks a 1911 Guy Can Appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Guy View Post
    I took a shooting class a few months ago. While I was there I got an opportunity to shoot a Templar Glock 19. I was pleasantly surprised by the grip angle. I seriously dislike regular Glocks because of their grip angle. (Please commence to tell me how wrong I am). I dislike how you have to tip your wrist forward to get on target. Glocks just don't naturally point for me. IMO, Glock could easily change this. I guess success speaks for itself.

In any event, after doing a lot of research on shops that do Glock mods, I bought a couple of 9mm Glocks. I picked up a 17, 19 and a 34. I grabbed some Ghost trigger bars and some HD night sights. I also changed out the slide stops. Then the 17 and 19 went off to Robar.

Here's what came back:

I can't say enough about the work that was done. The grips are very, very comfortable. They fit perfectly in my hands. They naturally point. The grips are "tacky" in the hand with no slip. They point just like a 1911.

The 17 frame works perfectly with the 34 slide.

I got in a little trigger time tonight and did a lot of drills. I was shooting for speed and not ultimate accuracy. The pistols performed perfectly.

I still love my 1911s, but I now love these Glocks. Perhaps cats and dogs can live together.
    You shot Mugsy!

We had hundred of them in Afghanistan... I have no idea why. We weren't shooting white guys with revolvers. I ended up taking the rest of them home.

Anyhow, I love Glock's grip angle, it works for me very well. I know plenty of people that it doesn't work for. Just today at work, holding a 19 we have, it could see how it fits like an extension of my hand for me, and doesn't fit at all for a coworker.

Sharp looking pistols. Thanks for
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Looks like the grip angle is the same. Most of the hump was just removed.(along with the finger grooves) That is why the custom market exists. Not everything fits everyone.

Last edited by dkf; December 20th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

(Lancaster County)

I'm odd and lucky. I was strictly a 1911 shooter for over twenty years when I gave in and bought my first Glock 19. I'm on target with both regardless of the difference in grip angle. Now I'm strictly a 1911 & Glock guy

(Allegheny County)

You didn't say what was done to make it "better", or different.

I see "texture", but not sure how that makes it more like a 1911 grip angle.

I hate shooting my Glock.
    I've hated it ever since I had an opportunity to shoot a 1911.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Looks like the grip angle is the same. Most of the hump was just removed.(along with the finger grooves) That is why the custom market exists. Not everything fits everyone.

Yes, agreed, and the hump gives the end user an entirely different grip angle for all intents and purposes. The removal of the hump changes that dramatically.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You didn't say what was done to make it "better", or different.

I see "texture", but not sure how that makes it more like a 1911 grip angle.

I hate shooting my Glock.
    I've hated it ever since I had an opportunity to shoot a 1911.
    Essentially, the finger groves were removed and the hump on the back strap was removed. The removal of the hump has the practical result of dramatically changing the grip angle. I also had them apply their medium texture and undercut the trigger guard. $280.00 per pistol for the work.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Guy View Post
    Essentially, the finger groves were removed and the hump on the back strap was removed. The removal of the hump has the practical result of dramatically changing the grip angle. I also had them apply their medium texture and undercut the trigger guard. $280.00 per pistol for the work.
    I wonder how a Gen4 with the small backstrap (eliminates the hump at the bottom) would compare to your custom frame.

(Allegheny County)

Gotcha.

As long as it works for you, that's what matters.
    Looks like they did good work.

Small backstrap will still have more of a hump than his customs. But you would still be stuck with the finger grooves.

I would have thought by now more companies would be making backstraps for the Gen4 Glocks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast