Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Use of Force for Others

I just received my LTCF in PA and have found a wealth of information on when I can and cannot carry based on US and PA law. Cound someone please breakdown in laymans terms, when I am allowed to use my firearm to defend others. If I see a crime that I perceive to be a lifethreat to others, can I use my firearm? Is there a precident I can turn to?

Thanks

FM

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Use of Force for Others

I'll make it easy...

Same conditions for yourself?
    Extend to others

Go visit the statute reference...
    This is all there

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...other-persons/

(Lycoming County)

You want to become familiar with Chapter 5 General Principles of Justification.

I have attached the section that deals with your question.

Be safe (and Justified).

Scott

Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. Crimes and Offenses (Refs & Annos)
    Part I. Preliminary Provisions
    Chapter 5. General Principles of Justification (Refs & Annos)
    § 506. Use of force for the protection of other persons

(a) General rule.--The use of force upon or toward the person of another is justifiable to protect a third person when:

(1) the actor would be justified under section 505 (relating to use of force in self-protection) in using such force to protect himself against the injury he believes to be threatened to the person whom he seeks to protect;

(2) under the circumstances as the actor believes them to be, the person whom he seeks to protect would be justified in using such protective force; and

(3) the actor believes that his intervention is necessary for the protection of such other person.

(b) Exception.--Notwithstanding subsection (a), the actor is not obliged to retreat to any greater extent than the person whom he seeks to protect.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks guys. Just trying to become as informed as possible. I look at LTCF as one of the greatest responsibilities. I originally came here from MD where it's rarely an option.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic1974 View Post
    Thanks guys. Just trying to become as informed as possible. I look at LTCF as one of the greatest responsibilities. I originally came here from MD where it's rarely an option.
    Good for you. As somebody said to me, "Drawing your gun, whatever the circumstances, will be a live changing experience." It is a serious matter and we should no what we are doing before we get to decision time.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Good for you. As somebody said to me, "Drawing your gun, whatever the circumstances, will be a live changing experience." It is a serious matter and we should no what we are doing before we get to decision time.
    Very, very well put.

(Bucks County)

Your outlook on carrying and having an LTCF is spot on. There have been a couple of incidents lately where a responsible gun owner has made the choice to draw and fire his weapon at an armed robber. It didn't end so well for the bad guys. The Good Samaritan in two of the cases were lauded as heroes, and no charges were filed.
    Making sure that you are fearing for yours or someone elses life can't be easy.

(Monroe County)

OP Maryland is getting from Bad to worst, see the New restrictions on "assault weapons" I understand that AK's are now prohibited from purchase.

BOT , even communist New York authorises you to use deadly force to defend another person from possible deadly force.

When i lived in New York City and got my "pistol license" as they call it there, the NYPD sent me a booklet in the mail outlining the use of deadly force.
    It said that i can use deadly force to:

1) defend myself from possible deadly force
    2) defend another individual from deadly force
    3) to protect a dwelling from arson
    4) to protect an individual from forcible rape (or yourself ofcourse)
    5) to defend an individual from sodomy

(Allegheny County)

In general discussion and sometimes in the law itself I have heard the term "reasonably believe" that without deadly force someone would be killed, maimed, raped or kidnapped.

This reasonable belief is what I use to justify weather to draw and possibly fire if this is a threat to myself or my loved ones.

If its another 3rd party even though I am not bound by law to do I I substitute "reasonably believe" with "absolutely believe".

I'm willing to deal with the justice system unfairly being thrown at me to save myself or my loved ones from violence. The amount of risk I'm willing to take for another 3rd party is significantly less.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion