Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Browning A-5 *Deep Cleaning and Restoration*

I recently traded for this beautiful old Belgium Auto 5 Light Twelve shotgun (Thanks Shoe). Upon initial inspection before the trade, everything checked out. All the fiction rings and springs were accounted for, and the action functioned properly. It did look very dirty and seemed to be lubricated with motor oil, but nothing a good scrub couldn't work out. Once at home it got a good surface cleaning.

Then it was time for the dirty stuff...

Whats the expression? "Ridden hard and put away wet?"

Parts Ordered:
    - Browning Factory Rebuild kit (Friction Rings, Springs)
    - Browning (FN) Factory butt plate
    - Browning High Viz front sight
    - Low Drag Shell Follower

The plan as of now is to clean, clean, and clean some more (maybe some polishing . Then its time to shoot a little (maybe a lot).

What do you guys think I should do with the finish? I've thought through getting it re-blued or even cerakoted, but haven't made up my mind. I want a nice looking shotgun, but it will not be a safe queen either. I plan on doing some hunting and clay shooting with it.

Thanks for looking, and updates will follow.
    Last edited by zswartley; December 21st, 2015 at 08:51 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Browning A-5 *Deep Cleaning and Restoration*

Re Blue it. If it were me I would also look into doing gold fill on the engraving. Send stock/foregrip to furniture refinisher to have it dipped to remove the old wood finish then refinish.

Don't forget to shine up that gold trigger!

Nice winter project!
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Bucks County)

cant wait to bust some clays with it!!!

you know my vote is to reblue Although will have to be sent out and may have a slightly longer turn around time, now is the season to do it, so were ready to blast come spring

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    Re Blue it. If it were me I would also look into doing gold fill on the engraving. Send stock/foregrip to furniture refinisher to have it dipped to remove the old wood finish then refinish.

Don't forget to shine up that gold trigger!

Nice winter project!
    Would love the gold fill but have already priced it and it is outside the budget. Plus for a field gun I was looking for something more low key.

(Bucks County)

Any recommendations for blueing in the area?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zswartley View Post
    Any recommendations for blueing in the area?
    Give me a shout later, most places around here dont do it onsite (that i know of, due to all the EPA regs) and need to be sent out, and usually dealers send out batches at a time, best best is to call around and see where they stand on turn around time....

Kings, Donelys, etc

(Bucks County)

I wouldn't reblue it. From what I see the finish "defects" are from hunting and regular use (not abuse). I actually appreciate a fine old shotgun with thinning finish......shows years of love. You will pay a lot, not get a finish as nice as original, and have a shotgun worth a lot less. Lightly polishing the parts that were originally in the white is OK.

Cerakote a classic shotgun??? Oh the humanity.........

This may sound contrary (and it probably is) but I would refinish the stock. I'm not a big fan of the shiny polyurethane finishes and feel a fine firearm needs an oil finish. I would strip the poly give it a light steel wooling (toothbrush for the checkering). Then start giving it coats of Boiled linseed oil.

Just my highly biased opinion. Its your shotgun and you can do what you want.
    Last edited by Delkal; December 16th, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

(Bucks County)

You might want to check in over at the Browning board on Shotgunworld.com they will surely have some input. As I understand it these were blued with a different process than is used today so it would be good to know if you ever intend to resell since that would impact the value.

What year is that guy? Based on the round knob it should before 1968 I believe.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I wouldn't reblue it. From what I see the finish "defects" are from hunting and regular use (not abuse). I actually appreciate a fine old shotgun with thinning finish......shows years of love. You will pay a lot, not get a finish as nice as original, and have a shotgun worth a lot less. Lightly polishing the parts that were originally in the white is OK.

Cerakote a classic shotgun??? Oh the humanity.........

This may sound contrary (and it probably is) but I would refinish the stock. I'm not a big fan of the shiny polyurethane finishes and feel a fine firearm needs an oil finish. I would strip the poly give it a light steel wooling (toothbrush for the checkering). Then start giving it coats of Boiled linseed oil.

Just my highly biased opinion. Its your shotgun and you can do what you want.

I was planning on doing the wood like you suggested. A nice oil job. The finish on the receiver, I do agree doesn't need to be redone, but there is a spot on the barrel (not shown in the photos) that concerns me. I will post photos when I'm done work. Let me know what you think.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbrew View Post
    You might want to check in over at the Browning board on Shotgunworld.com they will surely have some input. As I understand it these were blued with a different process than is used today so it would be good to know if you ever intend to resell since that would impact the value.

What year is that guy? Based on the round knob it should before 1968 I believe.
    Pre '67 with the round pistol grip. I haven't run the serial yet as to the specific year. And yes, it was blued differently... still up in the air as to what to do. As far as resale value, I'm not to concerned because I plan on keeping it. I love the addition to the collection. What a great shotgun.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast