Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: What Level Vest will Stop a 1600fps 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Maybe you could ask the local PD if you could borrow one of their vests for a test.
    I doubt it, they don't like to share their toys ....
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

That video is the 155g 1500fps
    The 135g 10mm is 1600fps

I don't know if it would matter but it would be nice to see if the 135g pens deeper because of the 100fps or maybe it wouldn't either way I would love to see it.

I am guessing that 10mm came close to penetrating it since it looks so messed up on the back? At least it looks like it would hurt
    There is no such thing as Dumb Control

The decision of what level vest to wear is a balance between the threat and comfort. Hot 10mm loads are not going to be perceived as a high threat because they are not as commonly used in crime as your 9mm, .40, .45, etc... By their nature, vests are not comfortable. They get hot, heavy, and stink from sweat if not constantly maintained.

No vest protects from all calibers and if there was one it would look like an Abrahms tank. Vests provide a range of protection. It is a personal/departmental choice to pick what range matches the threat. It is easy to say one would pick the highest level but there are trade offs such as increased body heat, loss of flexibility, etc

(Bucks County)

Ceramic or steel ar500 rifle plates should stop it

(Erie County)

Best thought out decisions still have risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Jefferson County)

A lot has to do with the bullet diameter, profile, and composition as to whether it will penetrate. Smaller diameters and sharper profiles will have a better chance to penetrate any type of armor versus larger diameter and/or blunter nosed projectiles. Then of course the composition will matter too. If it is designed to expand or deform, that will work against penetration. ...it will cause the bullet to form more surface area to dissipate energy across, thus work against penetration.

Why cops dont wear higher levels - because it is rare for criminals to use more powerful guns. 10mm is rare enough in legal hands, let alone criminal hands. .22LR to 40S&W is the range most creeps carry. Cost and comfort matter too. Cops often have to buy their own gear.. And heavier protection means additional weight, constriction, and also less ventilation. ...if you're sitting in a squad car or cruiser all day, constriction may become burdensome. If you have to run after a perp, one of the last things you need is to overheat.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

What do most LEO's wear like IIa or II?
    Yea I know 10mm is uncommon but it would surely suck if you are the unlucky one getting shot at with a 10mm.

Well I guess is doesn't matter much if your smart and you seen someone with a vest shooting at you, you probably wouldn't aim at the vest.

Thats if your smart, being that most cops probably get shot in their upper body I would assume most people are not smart or can't aim very well.

Well I read an article that said most of the cops shot while wearing a vest was about 6 feet close... so if you miss that close you are pretty bad at being a criminal.

I am not advocating any of that, I'm just saying even if I was a cop I still wouldn't feel safe even with a level 20million vest because my head is still open, I got an idea I'll buy another kevlar vest and place it on top my head, I can use the arm holes for my eyes (my eyes are on the side of my head like a hammer head shark)

Is it the police department that chooses what a LEO gets to wear or do they actually get to choose themself
    Last edited by ICEN; December 15th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
    There is no such thing as Dumb Control

(Erie County)

For what scenario are you considering a vest? Are you thinking of law enforcement as a career, or are you concerned with 'other' scenarios?

Also, how many civilians (non-LEOs) wear vests in their day to day?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

^^^Im a "Civi" and i have Level IIIa vest for a family member and i have stand alone rifle plates in a carrier (for classes, SHTF, etc).

Better to have and not need is my case, plus a good amount of trainings require plates

p.s and carry a 10mm, i guess im a really rare bird...its not as uncommon caliber as many tend to think, the internet over hypes lack of availability and price, sure maybe going into your local walmart or small LGS
    Last edited by Svickstc; December 15th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    For what scenario are you considering a vest? Are you thinking of law enforcement as a career, or are you concerned with 'other' scenarios?

Also, how many civilians (non-LEOs) wear vests in their day to day?

I think he is just curious about vests.

I doubt that a significant percentage of the population wear vests for personal (not job related) protection on a day to day basis.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast