Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Carrying with an expired LTCF after moving out of state?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Becoming a non-resident without a license from the new home state is a disqualifier for issue and a trigger for mandatory revocation when it becomes know to the sheriff.
    How is not having a license a trigger for revocation of the not license? Can an expired license even be revoked?

If you please, I would appreciate you spelling this out. I find this curious.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Is the OPs LTCF even valid at all given that he is no longer a PA resident?
    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Prior to its expiry it was valid even though he moved out-of-state (assuming that it was not overtly revoked by the sheriff). Becoming a non-resident without a license from the new home state is a disqualifier for issue and a trigger for mandatory revocation when it becomes know to the sheriff. There is no affirmative duty on the part of the licensee to make that fact known to the sheriff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    How is not having a license a trigger for revocation of the not license? Can an expired license even be revoked?

If you please, I would appreciate you spelling this out. I find this curious.

I was replying to Remington788. I interpreted his question dealing with the validity of the OP's license "prior to expiry" and whether there was an automatic invalidating based on becoming a non-resident.

I suppose, if a sheriff wanted the expired license returned for some reason and a licensee was non-cooperative, the sheriff could issue a revocation notice and trigger the statutory duty for the return under 18 Pa CS 6109(i) - highly improbable.

-------------------------------

Upon further reflection I am adding the following to my comments to the original OP lest there be a misinterpretation:

Be further advised that, until you become a Pa resident, you CANNOT use the expired LTCF for carry within Pa unless you hold a CCW from you home state (MD). This is because the statutory exception states:

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry
    a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and
    that said license expired within six months prior to the date
    of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for
    renewal of the license
    As a non-resident without home state CCW you are ineligible for an LTCF under:

18 Pa CS 6109(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 14th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

tl_3237 is correct above.^^^^
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12