Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default reloading 300 blk subsonic

hi i am completely new to reloading would any body please give me a quick rundown on what press and other items they would recommend purchasing for my first reloading kit. remembering that i primarily plan on reloading this round. any and help would be appreciated

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: reloading 300 blk subsonic

Look at a reloading manual that has the 300 BLK listed. Try Hornady, Sierra, or Lyman could do. They would also have the basics of reloading. I would read and search before I bought any equipment.

(Tioga County)

I ended up buying the RCBS AR small base die set. I did a lot of reading up on it and all the different dies before buying. My blackout rounds will only be fed through an AR so these dies seemed to be the best fit. Some people had great luck with the Lee dies and some not, especially through an AR.

I haven't started reloading rifle rounds yet, I'm just getting started with pistol for right now, but I've been getting ready to do so, such as getting dies.

I have an old turret press that I haven't messed with yet, but right now I use a Lee Hand Press and so far it's just fine for me.

This guy does his with a hand press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z90W9WJb8FA

For first time reloaders, I usually recommend starting with a straight walled pistol caliber. Components are cheaper, errors can be easily corrected and are usually more forgiving and there is less equipment involved. Im not saying anything is wrong with starting with 300blk just there is a greater learning curve jumping right into that.

Im not trying to steer you away from loading 300blk, just a suggestion
    That being said, RCBS offers some pretty handsome looking single stage press kits that set you up with everything you need minus dies, shell holders, powder, primers and bullets.
    Last edited by sixstrings101; December 14th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings101 View Post
    For first time reloaders, I usually recommend starting with a straight walled pistol caliber. Components are cheaper, errors can be easily corrected and are usually more forgiving and there is less equipment involved. Im not saying anything is wrong with starting with 300blk just there is a greater learning curve jumping right into that.
    There were some people that said I should jump right in with a progressive press and doing rifle rounds. No thanks. I've started very slow with pistol, 9mm specifically and I'm content to learn the ropes with that first before moving on.

The rifle rounds I'll be doing are 300 blackout and 308 Win and I'm just going to take it very slowly, check and recheck. Also what I like with the hand press so far is you have less a temptation and ability to start getting a major assembly line going and ramming it all through too fast.