Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Took the GF shooting for the 1st time

Backround:

My gf is the typical post college liberal type (Shes 23) She never saw a gun in person let alone held one. So after long discussions (few months now) about gun ownership and all the misconceptions I finally convinced her hold the 22 and get a feel for it. She was like a fish out of water... so awkward.... lol. After working with her for a bit on how to hold it and getting her comfortable I finally convinced her to go to the range with me. I just picked up a cheapo scope for the 22 and wanted to sight it in.

After about 20 minutes I had it fairly accurate (within a half inch at 50 yds depending on how much I was twitching lol. First time ever having to sight anything other than a BB gun in :-/ ) She decided to give it a shot. She was so nervous and scared.... She was so worried about recoil and I tried to explain to her that with the 22 there was none, it was like someone tapping you on the shoulder... she must have almost pulled the trigger 6 times before actually getting the nerve to do it...

First shot kinda scared her and she flinched and missed, second shot she hit the target far left. Then I guess she got freaked out and wanted to stop. So after I was plinking a bit with my own targets she asked to shoot again lol. This time she put 5 rounds through before stopping. After I shot for a few minutes she wanted to shoot again. Showed her how to load the magazine and do everything from start to finish.

It is kinda funny and sad at the same time.... She was so worried... because she really enjoyed it lol. She said she could never tell her friends because of their attitude towards guns, which is sad... but she said she would like to go again and that is all I can ask for.... It will make my life easier now that she understands why I own them and use them. Who knows.. we were at French Creek to get some things and she really liked a 22 they had there. I told her to get it.. she said "One step at a time...."

Here is her Target

now..... lol to work on her getting used to the 20 Gauge lol

On a side note: Took my dad on Saturday along with my cousin. They must have put 120 rounds through the shotgun and 500 through the 22... now both of them want to get involved with it as well. I'm creating little converts lol

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Took the GF shooting for the 1st time

Glad to see you got someone interested... keep it up and maybe SHE will get someone else interested too.... and you will have ALL The college girls going with you..lol

Really though, it was good that you took the time and didnt force her to shoot more than she wanted too. She came around and wanted to shoot some more at her own pace.... which is good.

Not bad for first time out either.....

WTG

(Northampton County)

Same thing with my wife except her father owned two shotguns. Now she has a Sig225 and shoots good, not great. She shoots occasionally when I take her with me. Not bad for someone who has not held a gun until two years ago.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Allegheny County)

Hey Soup, that's great news!

Perhaps one day, she'll enjoy it enough that she won't be afraid to let her friends know. Like she said. One step at a time!

Feel free to add your story to this thread while you're at it.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...-shooting.html

Thanks for sharing your story. We need to hear more like it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

When my girlfriend told her friends I was getting a gun, half of them were for it, knowing im going into law enforcement, the other half said they would be scared to be around me if I had a gun, because they are dangerous.. not me, but the gun itself is dangerous.

(Cumberland County)

I have introduced several girls with no prior exp. to shooting, my girlfriend even carries now, 15 mos. ago she had never shot a gun. All were timid when first trying, but all in all EVERY one asked to go again...and none of them harbor the same attitude as they initially did.
    MOLON LABE

(Delaware County)

Hey soup thats great. It's always fun to have a shooting partner. I wish my wife would go with me but I guess some of us can't have our cake and eat it too!

(Montgomery County)

Gents,

We are having a Lady's Day shoot at our Club on Saturday May 31st. Please consider bringing your significant other and participating in our shoot. Details can be found here on this site in the following thread.... http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shoots-ra...day-shoot.html We are located in Northampton Twp, Bucks County.

Please feel free to email me with any questions at lastdefender@aol.com

Regards,
    Gary
    LRGC
    Co-Chairman
    Practical Rifle Program

(Philadelphia County)

Since my wife won't go and has no interest in shooting I took my girlfriend with me last week and she loved it.

(Montgomery County)

Ummm... well I'm glad she had a good time. Hope to see you on the 31st.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast