Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I correct

(Allegheny County)

Angry Am I correct

I just picked up a Bersa 380 cc. I was thinking about ducking out to the range, but something has me puzzled. First let me say that the directions that came with the Bersa leave a lot to be desired. I put the mag in empty, released the slide lock and the slide flew forward. So far so good. I then put on the safety, and they hammer flew forward, and the trigger became useless. Assuming I would have had a live round in there, I assume that there is a blocking device that would have kept it from going off, otherwise I would be missing a toe or two. Am I correct? Remember gentlemen, safety comes first.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Am I correct

I don't have a bersa but the pp clones have a decocker. Sounds like you decocked with a round in the chamber. No big deal. Drop the mag, cock the hammer back by hand, pull the slide back. The round should come out.
    Last edited by Zet70; December 11th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Allegheny County)

I don't know anything about bersa or the model in question but what you are describing is a decocker not a safety. Decockers are not like safeties, decockers lower the hammer safely, safety's block or disable the hammer or trigger. Some guns have one or the other, some have both.
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; December 11th, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

(Mercer County)

Bersas are equipped with 3 safetys. It has an internal lock, a magazine safety and a decocking safety. the safety will decock the gun and put the weapon on safe at the same time. It will not fire a round when the hammer goes forward. it actually rotates a block out to keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin. with the hammer forward flip the safety on and off. you will see the hammer move back just a little when you put it on safe. that is the block.

(Westmoreland County)

I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder in 380. It is single action in that with a round in the chamber and the hammer down the first shot you must manually cock the gun. The gun is equipped with the de-cocking lever it drops the hammer and the gun should not fire with a round in the chamber, the lever must be placed back in the firing position and the hammer manually re-cocked to fire. The Bersa is also equipped with a magazine safety, it also will not fire if the magazine is not fully latched in place.
    As you pointed out safety is always your #1 priority. I own several handguns with de-cocking ability. When de-cocking always point the gun in a safe dirrection.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisUSMC View Post
    Bersas are equipped with 3 safetys. It has an internal lock, a magazine safety and a decocking safety. the safety will decock the gun and put the weapon on safe at the same time. It will not fire a round when the hammer goes forward. it actually rotates a block out to keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin. with the hammer forward flip the safety on and off. you will see the hammer move back just a little when you put it on safe. that is the block.
    +1 to this. OP, don't worry, the decocking feature is not designed to set your gun off, and no it isn't broken. Enjoy it.

(York County)

All the posts about the de-cocker are correct.

I have a Bersa .380 as my EDC. I love mine. It is a reliable and light weight gun for carry. I have 1,000's of rounds through mine with only slight wear on the frame rails.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Monroe County)

The decocker is actually the reccomended method to decock the gun. Yes it is a little unsettling to watch the hammer snap forward on a live round, but it is safe.

I used to have this pistol.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    The decocker is actually the reccomended method to decock the gun. Yes it is a little unsettling to watch the hammer snap forward on a live round, but it is safe.

I used to have this pistol.
    Unsettling is a good description.

I dont have a Bersa but it sounds just like the decocker on my Beretta 92fs. It takes a bit of getting used to. You can rack the slide while it's on safe. The hammer will go back and then slam forward. At least the blocking mechanism is clearly visible.

Still I always keep it pointed down range.

(Monroe County)

I have a BERSA, i second what the others have said, yes it is not just a safety , it is a safety decocker like on a Beretta 92, it decocks the gun safely and disconnects the trigger, that is why you didnt feel any trigger afterwards.

The Bersa is a very safe gun.

Safeties:

1) Manual thumb safety/decocker

2) Firing pin Block/drop safety

3) Magazine disconnect safety(gun wont fire without a mag inside)

4) Action/ kiddie lock (comes with a set of Keys that is used to lock the action up , perfect if you have small kids)

Yah, i would have to say it is a very safe gun
    Last edited by mrnyman; December 11th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast