Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Selling on Gunbroker?

I'd like to sell a couple of handguns and am considering using a website such as Gunbroker. The problem is, I have no experience selling or buying on this type of site. As a matter of fact, all of my internet sales and buys have been completed with a FTF meeting at an FFL. Before I start listing handguns, what should I know? Are there things I need to look out for, tricks of the trade, etc? Is Gunbroker even the best one to sell on, or is there another that's better?

Thanks in advance to all.

Default Re: Selling on Gunbroker?

USPS money order. A must. Its a federal offense to screw with the postal service.

(Montgomery County)

I am sure guns are bought and sold there and elsewhere online. It is the follow up that gives me the jitters. The paper work, the shipping, the back and forth. It feels like you almost need a lawyer these days to buy and sell guns, especially out of state. I'd just do FTF and be done with it.

(Montgomery County)

I've never used an online arms marketplace. Been burned on eBay a few times.
    Have you considered consignment sales through a local shop?
    I went that route last year and walked away with more money than I had planned to ask.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, its the back and forth and paperwork I am concerned about. Maybe I should look into consignment. Not quite sure how it works but I may as well investigate it before I post on an auction site. Thanks.

(Chester County)

I sold one on broker, not a big deal. My FFL mailed it to theirs after I received a USPS Money order. ALWAYS insist on the USPS money order and make sure it gets cashed, there are counterfeits out there.

Make sure you know how much your FFL/shipper wants to handle it before you list the price and shipping.

Best of luck.

PS, have you listed it here first?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    Yeah, its the back and forth and paperwork I am concerned about. Maybe I should look into consignment. Not quite sure how it works but I may as well investigate it before I post on an auction site. Thanks.

It's really pretty easy. The buyer sends you a money order and the contact info for their FFL, you give the gun and the info on the buyer and their FFL to your FFL, and the FFLs make sure everything is done legally.

Aside from that, it's just like selling on eBay. Make sure you hit all of the proper search terms for your item in the title, decide on options like featured item, post some nice pictures, and plan your pricing strategy (opening bid, whether to use a reserve or buy-it-now price, etc.) If you want some advice offline, PM me; I'd be happy to share my experience.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    I sold one on broker, not a big deal. My FFL mailed it to theirs after I received a USPS Money order. ALWAYS insist on the USPS money order and make sure it gets cashed, there are counterfeits out there.

Make sure you know how much your FFL/shipper wants to handle it before you list the price and shipping.

Best of luck.

PS, have you listed it here first?
    Thanks for the information. If I do move forward with listing I'll be sure to use USPS MOs (and let them clear).

I do have one of the pistols listed here, but I think I have a better chance for a faster sale and higher price on a larger site.

Here's the first one I'm thinking of listing: http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/23...lite-40-a.html

(Montgomery County)

I would not take money order, USPS or not. I know someone who received AND deposited a fake money order and the teller took it. They have no way of establishing authenticity on the spot. Do a bank transfer. It can be done online and they can't fake it. About consignment, I have sold a gun that way but it took months and many, many phone calls. But I did not have to deal with anybody, including the buyer! I also believe the shop won't return your own gun to you without a background check if you want it back.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    It's really pretty easy. The buyer sends you a money order and the contact info for their FFL, you give the gun and the info on the buyer and their FFL to your FFL, and the FFLs make sure everything is done legally.

Aside from that, it's just like selling on eBay. Make sure you hit all of the proper search terms for your item in the title, decide on options like featured item, post some nice pictures, and plan your pricing strategy (opening bid, whether to use a reserve or buy-it-now price, etc.) If you want some advice offline, PM me; I'd be happy to share my experience.
    Thanks Scruff. I'll talk to my LGS tomorrow to see if they do this type of thing. I assume the do (since they have a fairly robust website with firearms on it). I may also take you up on the offer for offline advice. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast