Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: concealed carry for firefighters

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Lol. You didn't have a policy before, but you will now. That much is for sure.

My firehouse happened to be cool about it and said "Just put it in your locker with a padlock on it."
    Same here at my squirrel house. There is no policy regarding firearms, and I would assume many of our members carry, although I don't know of any who do on calls. Many of our live ins own firearms and unwritten rules say they are fine to keep them in the station as long as they are secured under lock and key when not on them.

Its never an issue that has come up needing a policy or SOP, I hope it never does, and as long as everyone is safe and uses their brains about firearms safety it never will.

(Bedford County)

Given that EMS is not allowed to carry firearms while on duty, would you think the same thing applies to QRS Units?
    Just curious.
    Need Gun. Need Now.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunner2651 View Post
    it was noticed whenever i took my gear off this morning. i carry a snub 357 with a in the pants holster and the butt of the gun was showing and we have many guys their that are very anti-gun and it has caused and issue. so i want to be well prepared for our board meeting on tuesday evening when i get called in about it because i know that it is going to happen.

It's a sad state when there's more than one anti in someplace like smalltown "Sarver" PA.

I wonder if they are more anti-CARRY than anti-hunting?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I have the same issue in my industry (truck driving). Many truck drivers think it's illegal to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle and when I tell them it's not illegal they say, "prove it". I can't prove something that doesn't exist. Again, the laws and regulations are written to tell you what you can't do or what you must do, but not everything you could possibly do.

I have had this exact conversation before as well. I don't carry in the truck because it's against company policy and I spend a lot of time in Jersey and Maryland.

(York County)

"rescue" persons and medical personnel are in a special class. they are not expected to carry weapons, and are generally not subject to violence from other actors on a battlefield, whether it be in a declared conflict, or in an undeclared conflict. rescue personnel can go into the darkest of situations, ruled by the biggest of cats, with absolute impunity, because they are a protected class of mercy givers. if a mercy giver steps out of the role and joins the conflict, then he endangers all those in his class who choose to abide by the non-combatant classification. this is an unspoken trust that should not be broken.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    "rescue" persons and medical personnel are in a special class. they are not expected to carry weapons, and are generally not subject to violence from other actors on a battlefield, whether it be in a declared conflict, or in an undeclared conflict. rescue personnel can go into the darkest of situations, ruled by the biggest of cats, with absolute impunity, because they are a protected class of mercy givers. if a mercy giver steps out of the role and joins the conflict, then he endangers all those in his class who choose to abide by the non-combatant classification. this is an unspoken trust that should not be broken.
    Basically that is what I was trying to say how I feel..only more elegantly, Rep inbound!

Yes, I enjoy the fact that I can go into the worst parts of town, places I wouldn't walk around even in daytime on my own, and people there can talk to me like I was one of their friends because they know I am there to help them.

I was a Vol Fire and EMS for 27yrs in Wisconsin. Carrying a firearm on me during a working fire is not something I would do. Just 2 many things to go wrong. That being said during hunting season when some of our guys would go to the scene right from hunting I know guns came along. We did havee one rural auto accident that happened where some of our guys were hunting. They came out of the woods in Blaze orange and hunting rifles with them. They did traffic control for us. The Sheriffs Dept was not happy. We did get a lot of looks from cars that drove by.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Great post Calzonewdippingsauce. You bring up really good points on the pros and cons regarding EMS workers. I'd like to see the rules and regs go away and leave it up to the individual to decide what is best for a given circumstance.

The issues of positive retention in close quarters may be pretty difficult to overcome, but your safety should be the determinant element. Personally, I wouldn't see an armed EMT (or firefighter) as violating my trust, only as protecting themselves.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Calzonewdippingsauce View Post
    Its against DOH Rules and Regs. IANAL so IDK if that would get you into any legal trouble per se, but being in violation of EMS rules and regs could risk you losing your certification as an EMS provider (probably permanently with this violation) thus losing your job. I am a paramedic, and I honestly am torn about carry of weapons on an ambulance or medic unit while working as a provider.The biggest thing that holds me back from saying its a good idea however is the public trust issue.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't see an armed EMT (or firefighter) as violating my trust, only as protecting themselves.
    I would see it the same way. However, many would not. And, as was pointed out above, there are situations where firearms can remove all of the safety and civility provided by that red cross/star/crescent. I was pretty tight with an Army chaplain some years back who was an avid hunter and recreational shooter, probably a better shot than 90% of the unit. ANY carrying of a weapon by him in a war zone would have removed the protections afforded him by the Geneva Convention, etc., so we made sure his aide was one of the best shots we had. Medics are also afforded a level of consideration that the average grunt won't get. This also translates (again, as mentioned above) to ambulance crews being given access and safe passage in some situations that S.W.A.T. guys would shudder about - as long as they're not packing.

Barring any prohibiting laws and/or regulations it is, IMO, up to the individual medic to decide based on his/her experience and comfort level. If I need an ambulance I'm not likely to be concerned about whether or not the crew is armed, just as long as I still have my gun when they're done.

My 2¢

(Chester County)

As a former firefighter I wouldn't want to carry a firearm with me. Too many situations where it may get in the way, or could be a hazard. 99% of the time you're more than protected since LEO's show up on scene before you do. All the LEO's in my first due and mutual aid areas were good friends. I would trust them with my life, as I would my brother firefighters. As has been said, it's all departmental in terms of legality.

In Philly (And maybe Norristown, Coatesville, and other not so lovely areas) I'm sure it's a bit different. But, for the most part, I'd be okay with not carrying.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast