Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default What does PICS cost an FFL?

I've been checking out this forum and just signed up.

I hope this question is in the right place. I'm hoping someone has the answer.

When someone buys a firearm from an FFL here in PA, what is the actual cost of the PICS check for the FFL?

Among other things, I've heard $2 for a long gun, and $5 for a handgun, because of the extra piece of paper the PSP require, and I've heard it's $5 for a "taxable"(meaning bought from the shop), long gun or handgun, and $2 for a handgun transfer between two parties.

Im aware that an FFL is allowed to charge any PICS check fee they want for a handgun transfer between two parties, internet sales, and apparently for a new long gun or handgun as well, as one shop I know of charges a $10 "paperwork fee" for any new purchase.

I was wondering what the actual cost for the FFL is. This came up in conversation and I honestly don't know.

Thanks!

(Berks County)

Default Re: What does PICS cost an FFL?

Access to pics is two dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Access to pics is two dollars.
    OK so it's $2 for the FFL to access PICS for either a long gun or handgun, and the extra fee for handguns is for the PSP? How much is that?

You the FFL are charged $2 for PICS when you call it in. Now, take into account the amount of time that it takes to walk a person through filling out the 4473, as well as the portions of the 4473 you the FFL has to fill out, and should it be a handgun also the PSP non-registration registration form that needs filled, as well as the amount of time you are put on hold should you get an operator and not the computer during the PICS, as well as the phone line held up/customers waiting. Oh, and if there is a multi firearm purchase, you the FFL has to drop off the form that night, whatever time you close.

For a firearm purchased at the shop, $5. A person to person transfer requiring an FFL costs $30. Each store is allowed to charge what they want to charge is my guess as I see what some other stores charge to handle the paperwork.
    Hold the Line...

(Jefferson County)

$2 for the PICS call and $3 for the surcharge for each firearm transferred.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Blair County)

Lets get this in plain language. When PICS is asked for a background check the fee is $2, pass or fail. Then if it results in a taxable sale, each firearm is an additional $3. OK, walk-in and buy a single shotgun, $2 + $3 = $5, same for a bolt action 22, same for a 1911A1. Two people walk in and want to transfer a handgun (non-taxable transfer) = $2. A guy buys a case of SKS’s (20) and has them shipped to Dealer and then a S&W revolver, then an AK. So far, $2 PICS. But while in the shop he buys a 870 shotgun, $3 as a taxable sale, $5 TOTAL. THEN, he comes back later the same day and buys a Ruger LCP. The background check is already paid for (good till midnight) so $3 is charged. A guy buys 106 handguns from Williams Gunsight Co., PICS is $2, I made him do ALL the paperwork. These are all true examples, in every case I charged $20 for the non-taxable. I build background/paperwork into my sales price.
    Steve

OK guys thanks a lot for clearing this up. I understand now.

I've been shooting for years and somewhat embarrassed I didn't know this!