Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bring back the Political Wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    All that means is that we need better enforcement of the rules. It's really the same people over and over again, so it shouldn't be too difficult to deal with if the mods were so inclined.
    Perhaps. But to nip it in the bud, the mods would have to give out warnings and infractions to posts that even have the slightest bit of political content outside of the second amendment. Because in countless threads, that first post snowballs into a gigantic political train wreck.

I think a much more reasonable solution is to bring the PW back and keep the insanity contained. This is a gun forum. There aren't too many hobbies that are more politically involved and it draws a group of people that are interested in politics. When we get together, political talk outside of the 2nd is inevitable. Closing the PW and giving out infractions for political posts seems like swimming up river to me.

But this is all JMHO. The admins will do what they want.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Tioga County)

Guns and politics go hand in hand. No way to escape that if you want to talk about issues surrounding guns. There are of course gun only forums out there catering to specific guns but I'm not sure how that would fit with an organization here that bills itself as a "firearms owners association".

I have been around forums for 12 years involving a variety of topics. I find in my experience there are always a small minority that are always butthurt and want and demand that other people post according to their demands and wishes, such as them posting a thread about a topic and then angry if the responses they get in the thread are not what they want. Often they also demand the forum be shattered into all these little subforums and all that does is dilute discussions and having seen it personally, it's a forum killer.

I think at times there are a select few people that overdo it posting threads based around infowars articles and the latest gruesome crime and I think they should consider that quality is more important than quantity and spamming us with that stuff several times a day. But that would be a request from me, not a demand and I don't take it personally whatever they do. If I see threads I don't have an interest in, I skip them and don't contribute. I'd say those threads are more annoying than any "political" talk that comes up.

I'd say to the people are so worried about politics coming up, post some threads of your own about guns, shooting guns or reloading.

(Beaver County)

Why don't we make the PW accessible only to those with paid subscriptions/memberships? Keeps the threads out of reach of nonmembers and search engines.

(Lawrence County)

Fairly young to POFOA and loving it. Could you fellows explain what it is you are discussing and is the wrong being done?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    Fairly young to POFOA and loving it. Could you fellows explain what it is you are discussing and is the wrong being done?
    There was a subforum on this site called the "political wasteland." It was a place where all political arguments and discussion could be contained. Well, the powers that be decided that it wasn't working for some reason, and closed it. So, several very knowledgeable members up and left the site, and created their own site. One of the best moderators we had resigned his position because of it. Now a year later, the ENTIRE forum is the new political wasteland.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

And here I thought this thread lost traction.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Lawrence County)

Thank you. Sometimes I'm left out of the loop whether I want to contribute my two cents or not. Love the POFOA though, you guys can be a complete riot when things get going. The three hundred pound Nam Vet was a good example of that today. Sometimes my cutie pie wife and I sit and read these things in the evening and laugh out a lot of tears

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    There was a subforum on this site called the "political wasteland." It was a place where all political arguments and discussion could be contained. Well, the powers that be decided that it wasn't working for some reason, and closed it. So, several very knowledgeable members up and left the site, and created their own site. One of the best moderators we had resigned his position because of it. Now a year later, the ENTIRE forum is the new political wasteland.
    In addition, when the wasteland was closed , all non-gun related political topics were supposed to be forbidden.
    No discussion of gays, Christmas/Christians, abortion, etc.

You can see how well that worked out.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You can see how well that worked out.
    Unfortunately so. This place would be much better if that was enforced.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Unfortunately so. This place would be much better if that was enforced.
    I could take better enforcement of political posts. But it seems its easier to control when its contained to one forum.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast