Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Nikon P-223 3x9 40

Just picked up a Savage Axis in .223 and this caught my eye as an affordable option.
    Anyone have any input on it? Saw lots of good reviews. Any reason not to use one on a bolt gun with a 22" barrel with a 1 in 9 twist?
    I understand it is marketed towards ARs .

Default Re: Nikon P-223 3x9 40

I have one that came on an AR I bought from a buddy. It works real well but the bullet drop ends up being a guide that depends on your loading. I ended up putting a mil dot on my AR and sticking the Nikon on a 30-06 that needed glass!

It's holding up well to '06 recoil and also holding zero well. It's a hunting rifle so I just make poi a little high at 100 and right on at 200. I've got no business hunting past 200 since I don't have a practice range longer than that.

The holdover ends up being 'custom' for my rifle but isn't it always? I'm not ever going to get 'tactical' and have to rangefind human targets with the nikon. I would want mildot for that anyway.

It's a decent piece of glass for the $

Rdr

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Nikon P-223 3x9 40

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    Just picked up a Savage Axis in .223 and this caught my eye as an affordable option.
    Anyone have any input on it? Saw lots of good reviews. Any reason not to use one on a bolt gun with a 22" barrel with a 1 in 9 twist?
    I understand it is marketed towards ARs .
    I own 3 of the Nikons (3-9 and 2 4-12s) that I use on my ARs (5.56 and .308). I bought them for the same reason you cited after reading some good reviews online. The get the job done, hold zero well, and I really don't have any complaints for the money I spent.

I recently got a Vortex Diamondback (4-12) that runs about the same price as the above, and it is an infinitely better scope to me. The clarity is better, the eye relief is better, and it feels just as solidly built and easy to use. YMMV, but when I'm in the market for another scope, it'll be the Vortex I look at first. It's currently on my AR10 and holds zero as you'd expect a scope to.