Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Group Purchase Forum

Group Purchase Forum Straight and to the point...don't-cha think?

(Luzerne County)

Thumbs up Re: We want your ideas!

Holleta COUNT ME IN sounds like a great idea
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Group Purchase Forum

I approve. We are always talking about a Group Buy but it never materializes..

that reminds me.. I have a couple of small group buy threads that need updating..
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lancaster County)

So what are we gonna buy?
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter 13 View Post
    eotech
    ammo
    crimson trace
    ar parts
    glock mags
    Last edited by rgb03; January 15th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter 13 View Post
    Anything we can!!

Lets put some feelers out. I also wouldn't mind Glock Mags and Ammo.

I have participated in many GPs through the years on everything from gun stuff to Mustang racing parts and have saved a crapload of money because of them. Many of the internet GPSS (because of geography) required a certain number of buyers (10, 25, 50 for ex) within a 1 or 2 month period. Items were drop shipped or sent direct to each participating "member". It can work here too.

(Montgomery County)

OK folks - I need cheap 9mm P ammo. I want to buy 2 or 3 cases. I'm sure most of us could use some 9mm P. I want to keep costs to $120 or below (each case) and want to get brass, preferably not reloaded.

I'm sure if we dug a little bit we could get 10 cases worth of orders from this group.

Who's in and does anyone know where we can get this? I have seen some places for $130 or so, but then S/H kicks in.

Anyone?

George:

It's a good conceptual idea, but won't completely offset the effects of the economy. I looked into this same exact principle here and found two major obstacles.
    • First, the distributors aren't cutting much of a price break for orders under 50-100 cases. This means you'll likely need a forklift to pull it of the back of the common carrier trailer when it arrives. It's very unlikely the driver will do anything more than position the trailer for you. Hopefully you won't have this consideration with 9mm. Also there's secondary distribution question. People will only drive so far to pick up ammunition, and according to one poll, most aren't buying much over 2-3 cases. And, the savings are gone if you reship.
    • The second challenge is the finances...if you insist on pre-pay (understandable), you likely won't have enough to qualify for the bigger discounts. If you seed it with our own money, you may find yourself with a large stash of ammo, and a local market already saturated in the size you're selling. And if the market price drops...
    Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. Another detail is the person selling it will likely be in a residential environment. That means he (or she) will need to somehow advertise they're selling XYZ ammunition without attracting the attention of goblins looking for guns.

If you're in an area that has a real appetite for ammunition, you might be able to pull it off. However, most of us are ordering for ourselves, digging in for a long season controlled by the left side & duly sprinkled with anti-gun proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    George:

It's a good conceptual idea, but won't completely offset the effects of the economy. I looked into this same exact principle here and found two major obstacles.
    • First, the distributors aren't cutting much of a price break for orders under 50-100 cases. This means you'll likely need a forklift to pull it of the back of the common carrier trailer when it arrives. It's very unlikely the driver will do anything more than position the trailer for you. Hopefully you won't have this consideration with 9mm. Also there's secondary distribution question. People will only drive so far to pick up ammunition, and according to one poll, most aren't buying much over 2-3 cases. And, the savings are gone if you reship.
    • The second challenge is the finances...if you insist on pre-pay (understandable), you likely won't have enough to qualify for the bigger discounts. If you seed it with our own money, you may find yourself with a large stash of ammo, and a local market already saturated in the size you're selling. And if the market price drops...
    Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. Another detail is the person selling it will likely be in a residential environment. That means he (or she) will need to somehow advertise they're selling XYZ ammunition without attracting the attention of goblins looking for guns.

If you're in an area that has a real appetite for ammunition, you might be able to pull it off. However, most of us are ordering for ourselves, digging in for a long season controlled by the left side & duly sprinkled with anti-gun proposals.
    EXACTLY...People on this forum talk a good game, but nothing has materialized because of several factors.
    1)You would have to place a huge order...I'm talking 100,000+ rounds to even get any ammo company to take you serious. You call a distributor with an order for 15 cases and he will probably laugh at you and hang up on you.

2)Logistics would be another issue. You would save some money by having the ammo dropped shipped to your home, but will your wife be kewl with using your home as a storage facility??? Do you know how much space 100K rounds would take up in your home?

3)Finances would be a huge issue to resolve. I've been part of plenty of GBs and a lot of times GBs are delayed because people jump to say they will order this many or that many and when it comes time to "pony up" they make excuses.

Lets get real folks, if you didn't stock up pre-2007, you are SCREWED. I have been saying it since I've joined this forum...buy what you can afford now. It won't be getting any cheaper anytime soon. Just imagine what prices will be once the Dems take over the WH.

(Montgomery County)

Boooo! I blame Aubie for not posting about the upcoming ammo shortage in 20 pt font and bold letters with exclamation points.

But seriously, you are correct. The mechanics of the group buy are alien to me. Thanks for the heads up. And yeah I know how much 100k rounds take up Back in the day my dad had about 200k in 7.5 French alone. God help the person trapped under those boxes.

Most ammo I am good on, it's the 9mm that caught me flatfooted. I was counting my 'hot' ammo (which I only put through the subguns) and didnt realize that I was under 1000 rds. So yeah, silly me for not buying more.

As an aside - anyone have any problems with remanufactured (reloaded) ammo? I have seen 1000 rds for $100 and was wondering if this is viable alternative.

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast