Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Stupid Tricks to Teach Your Shooting Class

"Is it just me, or are there a lot of completely stupid techniques being taught to (or at least recorded by) the shooting public these days? I'm not an LEO and have never been in the military, so I know many people would say "you don't know, and can't criticize anything." In my opinion, if someone without formal training such as me is able to immediately determine a technique is utterly retarded, that is a pretty good indication that said training might be worthless. Since I had to go to work with a cold today, I feel like making a little rant about what I've seen at the range and on youtube. This is focused on quasi-"military" or "tactical" training, which has got to be the best market to be in these days. I mean, even if you can't find your own ass with a written map the customers have no objective way to know the difference!"

(continues in link with videos)
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363495

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Stupid Tricks to Teach Your Shooting Class

Probably gonna make some people defensive

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You are responsible for your own training. That means putting some effort into finding good instructors, evaluating what they teach you and deciding if it makes sense, and then practicing the techniques to see if they actually work for you. If you find yourself in some total asshat instructor's class, it's your own fault for not doing your homework up front.
    Last edited by scruff; December 4th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

(Allegheny County)

lolz

some of those are funny.
    some expose the ignorance of the writer.
    others are right on point!

(Allegheny County)

It seems like allot of the competition techniques are entering the defensive training market.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Tioga County)

In the training business we call it the good idea machine spun out of control.

I think the guy does make some good points.

What I find with a lot of these guys, especially to those marketing to civilians, is that to set themselves apart and create a competitive advantage for themselves, they concoct some special spin on technique and their way or path and they insist on doing it that way.

I also think that you have the evil spawn out there now from the video game generations that have grown up with 30+ years of video games and hollywood special effects and I find in the instructional business that has warped more people's brains than anything. I have friends overseas that find the same thing, so it's not isolated to here. Nothing worse than teaching a guy who's had his brain turned to Playstation and Xbox mush and trying to layer real world reality over that.

On the competition side of things you can see that in 3 Gun comps and USPSA. Not saying those are bad or not fun, but most of the stages are set up as though you are taking on the Mongolian horde of cardboard and steel. And it seems a lot of these "tactical" classes are set up the same. Is "run and gun" realistic for real world situations?

I also think the hollywood and video game world has made the pistol into something bigger than it really is. Pistols to me are weapons for concealment for close protection or last ditch weapons. I think it's great to master pistol shooting, but what's this big thing on "transitioning" to a pistol when you have a rifle? A rifle is a force multiplier compared to a pistol. What do you do when your pistol comes up dry as you take on the Horde? You now have this rifle flopping around in front of you while you try to reload your pistol or like what? I'm not getting it.

I'm a firm believer in basic marksmanship. I see guys with guns out of Star Wars with a bazillion optics, lasers, lights, grips and junk and they light up the hillside and can't hit the side of a barn. Just like the actor that died in the Porsche, you can have all the gear and horsepower in the world but if you don't master basic skills you see what happens.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    "Is it just me, or are there a lot of completely stupid techniques being taught to (or at least recorded by) the shooting public these days? I'm not an LEO and have never been in the military, so I know many people would say "you don't know, and can't criticize anything." In my opinion, if someone without formal training such as me is able to immediately determine a technique is utterly retarded, that is a pretty good indication that said training might be worthless. Since I had to go to work with a cold today, I feel like making a little rant about what I've seen at the range and on youtube. This is focused on quasi-"military" or "tactical" training, which has got to be the best market to be in these days. I mean, even if you can't find your own ass with a written map the customers have no objective way to know the difference!"

(continues in link with videos)
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363495
    First of all, I am not an advocate of the techniques in question.

In the case of the C-Clamp rifle method, it is a spin off (or evolution) of methods developed back in the 1950's. Nothing new under the sun.

While it does help control recoil when shooting an NSR, IMO it is a specialized technique that doesn't fit my civilian context.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j2w...5#.UqB5j-LO2So

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nforcement.jpg

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

What I find with a lot of these guys, especially to those marketing to civilians, is that to set themselves apart and create a competitive advantage for themselves, they concoct some special spin on technique and their way or path and they insist on doing it that way.

I also think that you have the evil spawn out there now from the video game generations that have grown up with 30+ years of video games and hollywood special effects and I find in the instructional business that has warped more people's brains than anything. I have friends overseas that find the same thing, so it's not isolated to here. Nothing worse than teaching a guy who's had his brain turned to Playstation and Xbox mush and trying to layer real world reality over that.

On the competition side of things you can see that in 3 Gun comps and USPSA. Not saying those are bad or not fun, but most of the stages are set up as though you are taking on the Mongolian horde of cardboard and steel. And it seems a lot of these "tactical" classes are set up the same. Is "run and gun" realistic for real world situations?

I also think the hollywood and video game world has made the pistol into something bigger than it really is. Pistols to me are weapons for concealment for close protection or last ditch weapons. I think it's great to master pistol shooting, but what's this big thing on "transitioning" to a pistol when you have a rifle? A rifle is a force multiplier compared to a pistol. What do you do when your pistol comes up dry as you take on the Horde? You now have this rifle flopping around in front of you while you try to reload your pistol or like what? I'm not getting it.

I'm a firm believer in basic marksmanship. I see guys with guns out of Star Wars with a bazillion optics, lasers, lights, grips and junk and they light up the hillside and can't hit the side of a barn. Just like the actor that died in the Porsche, you can have all the gear and horsepower in the world but if you don't master basic skills you see what happens.
    Great reply.

The only thing I would say with respect to transitioning is that it is MUCH quicker than clearing a Type III malfunction.

Or in the case of the dreaded empty case jammed ABOVE the BCG and tangled up with the charging handle. Doesn't happen often but when it does the rifle will not be cleared without tools and allot of time.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

Kind of like the Tactical Macarena?

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Adams County)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast