Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default No discharge in Riegelsville/Durham?

Hi all.

I am escaping NJ and moving to America.

I had a question re: shooting on your own land, specifically in Riegelsville/Durham. The home I am buying is on 15 wooded acres with the closest home being about 500 feet from my house, and about 800 feet of land behind my house.

Does anyone know if there are no discharge laws in effect for the two towns, or in PA in general?

I would like to be able to go out on the land and plink with my 22s or pistols, but don't want to start my relationship with LEO on a bad note.

Thank you

(Bucks County)

Default Re: No discharge in Riegelsville/Durham?

I think it depends on the township. I think the general rule is 100ft from the property line.

On 15 acres, you should be fine.

(Bucks County)

check local ordnances, most are online these days

(Bucks County)

I looked for ordinances and could not find anything. Once I move in, I will see what is up. Would be great to go plink on the back lot.

(Monroe County)

With 15 acres I doubt you are in Reigelsville. Most likely Durham Township. Lot's of people hunt and I haven't heard of a discharge ordinance.
    Where are you located?

I lived in Durham for about 15 years and we shot 22's on our 4 acres that backed up to thick woods. All my neighbors were hunters and backyard shooters and very safety conscious.
    Much depends on the layout of your property, the backstop, and your neighbors. While I can't give legal advice, I do believe that if a projectile lands on neighbors' property and they object, you could be in serious trouble.
    I suggest you get to know the surrounding landowners before doing any kind of shooting except maybe air rifle, and consider getting a suppressor.

(Bucks County)

I will be on County line road. 70% of the acreage is behind the house. Downhill slope, but heavily treed. Land is fairly square, with the house in the northwest corner of the plot.

Nearest neighbor is in front of the house, would not be shooting in their direction.

Land at the bottom of the slop is large farmland, but that is about 1,000 feet away.

No one to the left nor right.

Welcome to Upper Bucks. It is a beautiful area and you will be very happy there. Great stuff to do in all seasons.
    My suggestions still stand, even though your property seems likely to allow shooting at reasonable hours with proper backstops. There are lots of NJ refugees near the Delaware and some carried the fear of guns and hunting across the border. They could easily call to report shooting if they feel endangered so my advice is to meet some locals first, listen for other recreational shooters or hunters, and be ready to get a knock from State Police who are generally very pro 2A for responsible landowners, but must respond if a neighbor complains. Maybe you should call the barracks in Perkasie, though I doubt they will give you much positive information and plenty of precautionary advice.
    I was off Gallows Hill near Lehnenburg and loved living there. Nice folks in town and surrounding villages. Enjoy it.

#1 Did you buy that beautiful contemporary with the nice deck overlooking the property off of County Line?
    #2 Welcome to America from a fellow Ex-New Jersian.
    #3 Your fine, Just make sure you have a proper back stop and practice common courtesy.

I only have 4 acres but I shoot into a earthen berm with the closet house behind it around 3000 ft and I don't go shooting 500 rounds all day every day.
    I also don't mind when my neighbors sheep make noise or the other neighbor blasts his awful music occasionally. I figure if they can tolerate me blasting off a few mags I can tolerate their noise.

If you want some pointers on building a back stop just holler, and if you want to catch a beer or shoot a couple rounds let me know.
    Upper Bucks is wonderful place and you will love living here, congrats and welcome.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yes, that contemporary is the place I bought. It is really nice, but we are remodeling the interior to make it even nicer.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast