Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Options for putting safe on concrete

Been thinking of buying a safe in the next few months…right now the only real option is to put it in a walk in basement of my ranch house.

The basement is partially finished, fairly dry, and climate controlled, the humidity stays fairly constant throughout the year (~30-35%).

I would like to isolate the bottom of the same from the floor though. Any suggestions for doing this? I had thought of building a concrete riser, but would prefer a simpler solution.

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Options for putting safe on concrete

I put mine right on the concrete and used heavy anchors drilled into the floor on the inside of the safe. you don't want it to go anywhere.

If dampness is a concern I would get pressure treated 2x4 or 4x4. depending on the height you want to go. Then lag them to the floor with Red head lags. Then bolt the Safe to the wood. Use pressure treated wood any place wood meets concrete. You could also bolt the back of the safe to the wall spacing with 2x4. this would help prevent getting a chain around the safe.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Philadelphia County)

If you go with concrete, make sure you use concrete wedge bolts to secure the safe. Many people just use either lag bolts or concrete screws.

http://www.hilti.com/holcom/page/mod...?nodeId=-10812

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    If dampness is a concern I would get pressure treated 2x4 or 4x4. depending on the height you want to go. Then lag them to the floor with Red head lags. Then bolt the Safe to the wood. Use pressure treated wood any place wood meets concrete. You could also bolt the back of the safe to the wall spacing with 2x4. this would help prevent getting a chain around the safe.
    Dampness is not a concern at the moment..I am just thinking ahead.

I did think about 2x4s, but honestly I don't have that much overhead space to work with.

What about a runner horse stall mat? Would that serve as a precaution against dampness?

(Washington County)

Ya you don't want it sitting right on the concrete floor as it will cause rust. I had to level mine so it is sitting on shims. If I hadn't used those I would have sat it on pieces of rubber tire inter tube. You can get inner tubes at tractor supply. A piece of that horse stall mat would probably be good as well.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Luzerne County)

You could use tar paper to isolate the safe from the concrete. I put my big one on 1/2" sheet of polypropylene when the safe was delivered. The guy who delivered the safe asked why I would do that. I just grabbed the corner of the 1200lb safe and pulled. The safe moved with no effort.

His mouth dropped then he asked if I could get him some.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

That's good thinking!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Been thinking of buying a safe in the next few months…right now the only real option is to put it in a walk in basement of my ranch house.

The basement is partially finished, fairly dry, and climate controlled, the humidity stays fairly constant throughout the year (~30-35%).

I would like to isolate the bottom of the same from the floor though. Any suggestions for doing this? I had thought of building a concrete riser, but would prefer a simpler solution.
    Leaking pipes. Ruins your day. A riser is a good idea. Could use channel iron to elevate. All safes are vulnerable to an extent so just do the best you can. My popop used to say, "locks are for honest people".

(Elk County)

I recommend NOT using pressure-treated lumber because ACQ treated lumber (the only kind sold now) is particularly corrosive to steel in a moist/humid environment. Fasteners for ACQ lumber need to have extremely robust coatings such as hot dip galvanizing with an organic coating applied on top of the galvanizing to resist corrosion from the copper in the ACQ treated lumber. Ordinary painted steel does not hold up to ACQ in a humid or wet environment, and why take a chance in a "mostly" dry environment that may get damp during the humid summer months?

If you set the safe on lumber, use non-pressure treated 2x4s or 4x4s.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast