Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Gun transfer gone wrong...

Well,can't believe that this happened but here goes.I got a call the other day from a detective in bethlehem PA asking about a gun they recovered in a crime.It appears that a gun i sold thru the forums here back in 2010 was used in a crime. Now i have bought and sold LOTS of guns over the years and every one has been a legal transfer.But for some reason this gun is still in my name.WTF? I have searched and searched for the transfer paperwork,but wouldnt you know i,I have have just about every piece of FFL paperwork i have ever done except this one..And i cant remember who i sold this to.I have called m local FFL's and asked them to check their records for a transfer around the time the gun was sold and they cant find anything.Only thin i can figure is i traveled and met the buyer somewere i dont usually do business with and lost the transfer paperwork somewere.But how did Pennsylvania screw this up,i mean when you do the transfer at an FFL it gets instachecked and transferred immediately? So i really dont know where to check next.I contacted PAFOA to see if they can give me PM archives to see who might have purchased it from me,but other than that i'm at a loss as to what to do.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Gun transfer gone wrong...

What makes you think that you need to "do" anything?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Go claim your gun back when their done with they're investigation.
    How about that "registry" now? It must be yours.

(York County)

I guess i dont have to do anything.But i want to do something..hows that.
    I want to find who i sold it to and prove that i did not sell it illegally,thats all.

(Bucks County)

Until accused of a crime there is NO reason to prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal10 View Post
    Well,can't believe that this happened but here goes.I got a call the other day from a detective in bethlehem PA asking about a gun they recovered in a crime.It appears that a gun i sold thru the forums here back in 2010 was used in a crime. Now i have bought and sold LOTS of guns over the years and every one has been a legal transfer.But for some reason this gun is still in my name.WTF? I have searched and searched for the transfer paperwork,but wouldnt you know i,I have have just about every piece of FFL paperwork i have ever done except this one..And i cant remember who i sold this to.I have called m local FFL's and asked them to check their records for a transfer around the time the gun was sold and they cant find anything.Only thin i can figure is i traveled and met the buyer somewere i dont usually do business with and lost the transfer paperwork somewere.But how did Pennsylvania screw this up,i mean when you do the transfer at an FFL it gets instachecked and transferred immediately? So i really dont know where to check next.I contacted PAFOA to see if they can give me PM archives to see who might have purchased it from me,but other than that i'm at a loss as to what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    What makes you think that you need to "do" anything?
    Might have something to do with those "lots" of gun purchases and sales, one ending up in the hands of a criminal, and the coincidence of no "record of sale" form and no receipt. All of which would be consistent with a straw purchaser and illegal sales.

If you want to buy & sell "lots" of guns and make some money at it, it's wise to get an FFL and keep the records.

That being said, the DA would have the burden of establishing a knowing sale to a prohibited person, or a sale otherwise in violation of the UFA or Federal law. Without the testimony of someone who bought from the OP, that could be an uphill battle.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Pistol or long gun?. Long gun wont even matter

(Delaware County)

PA doesn't have gun registration.
    Guns aren't "connected" to you in a legal nature.

Tell the officers to go pound sand if they give you grief and remind them that nothing is "in your name". You sold the gun years ago and dont have anything further to discuss with them

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post
    Pistol or long gun?. Long gun wont even matter
    Long guns are rarely used in crimes, but if this was indeed a long gun, then it's not "in the name of" anyone. The ROS database only covers handguns.

A forward trace could get from the mfgr to the distributor to the retailer to the first buyer, and then follow each link of the chain from buyer to seller, ending at the OP, who might want to know who he sold it to so that they can get past him and continue from buyers to sellers.

You don't want to be left with the last known transfer when the music stops. It may not be enough to convict you of anything, but it's enough to get a warrant, get your phones and computers seized and reviewed, and otherwise harsh your cosmic mellow.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

Claim it stolen in 2010 and see if they can locate a copy of the theft report. God knows the technology back then was spotty at best back then.

Edit: guess I should have posted a "lol" after that so people knew it was a joke.......
    Last edited by Zet70; December 1st, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast