Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Having a son, already thinking about hunting rifles.

As the title says, I will be having a son in May. This got me to thinking, what rifle should i get him for deer season? I then wondered what rifles do most peoples fathers get them for large game. I started to ask around work, only to realize next to no one at work ever went hunting, not even as a kid

My dad got me a savage 25-06 for my first deer rifle. and i am wondering what was others first deer/large game rifle? Type and Caliber please.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Having a son, already thinking about hunting rifles.

My first was a Savage 110 in 30.06 that my first wife bought me for Christmas. She's since passed and I wouldn't take a million dollars for it. I helped my son get his first a NEF Handi Rifle in 25.06 and just a few weeks ago bought another Handi Rifle in .243 for my grandson when he gets a little older, he's only 6 right now. I plan to switch to the youth stock for him and later he can switch it back to the full sized. He and my son also have the option of switching calibers with them. My boy is looking at a big bore but can't decide which one of these .444 Marlin, 45.70 Govt or the .450 Marlin. Good luck and remind him the most important part of being safe and shooting well is between his ears.

(Lawrence County)

First year was just a 410 with slugs, only good to about 50 yards or so but good enough to get me out. My Uncle gave me my Grandfathers 30-30 Winchester after that which I used for years before retiring it.

Bought a Savage 7mm-08 for my daughter last year then realized how expensive the ammo was so I changed it to a 243. I cut the stock down to fit her but now I'm kicking myself for not just buying a youth model in the first place. They have a shorter barrel and are a bit lighter plus I doubt she'll ever fit a full size.

If she decides to stick with it I'll probably buy her a youth or ladies model next year. That will give me an extra gun to play with so when I get off my ass and start reloading I'll probably buy an aftermarket stock and 260 barrel for it and build a tack driver.

(Berks County)

For my 12th birthday I got a Remington 700 BDL in .243. Then for my 13th birthday, I got a Leupold Vari X II 3-9X40. This is the only rifle I have ever hunted deer with. While it's natural for you to be excited about the new addition to your family, I wouldn't be going out and making a deer gun purchase just yet. His size as he is approaching the age when he will start hunting should be part of your decision making process as to what will be his first deer gun. If you look at any 6th grade class picture, the difference between the biggest kid and the smallest one can be quite large.

(Bucks County)

Don't worry.....some time in May this will be the very least of worries for many many years to come.

Congrats but please don't let your wife give him a silly name

(Berks County)

First year was a Marlin 336 30-30. As someone else mentioned I'd wait until a year or so before and make the purchase based on size. I would probably opt for a 243 or 25-06. With that said if your hell bent on getting a rifle now, why not a Savage Rascal, Cricket, TC Hotshot, or one of the other types of youth single shot 22's?

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    First year was just a 410 with slugs, only good to about 50 yards or so but good enough to get me out. My Uncle gave me my Grandfathers 30-30 Winchester after that which I used for years before retiring it.

Bought a Savage 7mm-08 for my daughter last year then realized how expensive the ammo was so I changed it to a 243. I cut the stock down to fit her but now I'm kicking myself for not just buying a youth model in the first place. They have a shorter barrel and are a bit lighter plus I doubt she'll ever fit a full size.

If she decides to stick with it I'll probably buy her a youth or ladies model next year. That will give me an extra gun to play with so when I get off my ass and start reloading I'll probably buy an aftermarket stock and 260 barrel for it and build a tack driver.
    I know what you mean as far as the stocks, I inherited two of my dad's rifles, both rem 700 bdl' s, of which the stocks are cut due to his small arms, a birth defect. I can't shoot this rifles to save my life.

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    First year was a Marlin 336 30-30. As someone else mentioned I'd wait until a year or so before and make the purchase based on size. I would probably opt for a 243 or 25-06. With that said if your hell bent on getting a rifle now, why not a Savage Rascal, Cricket, TC Hotshot, or one of the other types of youth single shot 22's?
    I appreciate your advice, but as I said I was just curious what other people's dad's get them as their first deer rifle, as the answers can very greatly. I do plan on getting a 22 first, because that is what most people start with, also why I didn't ask for people's first rifle. I just think it's interesting to find out how others started out and with what. Also I'm not gonna run out and buy a rifle right now, I'm just getting an idea of what I might buy when the time comes.

(Chester County)

I have an almost 2 year old and a 6 month old. I have purchased for their first rifles a pair of Henry .22 lever actions that I got when they were on sale. I think these will be great to start on and I still have a few years before we need to think about big game.

Quote Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
    I have an almost 2 year old and a 6 month old. I have purchased for their first rifles a pair of Henry .22 lever actions that I got when they were on sale. I think these will be great to start on and I still have a few years before we need to think about big game.
    I like the Henry and was literally just thinking that's the 22 I want to get before I read that. Mainly because I just saw a commercial, but as they pointed out their made entirely in America. I posted a similar question on Facebook, and as expect a lot of responses were, winchester 30-30, but I don't even think they are even made in America anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast