Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Camping during deer season

I have been going to WV deer hunting for over 20 years. I started with a tent and am now up to a slightly larger tent. Some of the yearly guys I have gotten to know have campers, some use tents. The whole point is that WV State Game lands are very camper friendly. I have hunted and camped in Maryland also. I don't see that in PA. Am I missing something? It is hard to get information out of state agencies sometimes. How are the State parks? It seems that PA does not want people camping here. I have been to PA State Game lands that have huge parking lots(Fields) and there is no camping allowed. I think there is camping in state parks , but very regulated and a hassle. Anybody else try the camping hunting camp in PA?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Camping during deer season

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I have been going to WV deer hunting for over 20 years. I started with a tent and am now up to a slightly larger tent. Some of the yearly guys I have gotten to know have campers, some use tents. The whole point is that WV State Game lands are very camper friendly. I have hunted and camped in Maryland also. I don't see that in PA. Am I missing something? It is hard to get information out of state agencies sometimes. How are the State parks? It seems that PA does not want people camping here. I have been to PA State Game lands that have huge parking lots(Fields) and there is no camping allowed. I think there is camping in state parks , but very regulated and a hassle. Anybody else try the camping hunting camp in PA?
    Used to see a lot of Campers at Cook's Forest camp ground,but the last few years they have been few and far between,much like the deer herd in northern,Pa.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Somerset County)

No camping on Gamelands. You can camp on State Forest land but I'm not sure of the procedure, contact the Rangers Office for that forest. Camping at the State Parks is easy, you can make reservations online or just show up. Pick your campsite and pay for it. Just be aware that some campgrounds are not open during hunting season, it depends on the weather and how well winterized the facilities are.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

One of the last camping/ hunting trips we took up in Tionesta area resulted in me getting $112 fine.

For close to 25 yrs we camped in just about the same spot for hunting and occasionally for trout season.
    This was along East Hickory creek along Queen road just outside of Endeavor.

Not sure what his capacity was. i would guess it to be fish commission related.
    I pulled my camper into the same spot as previously done and set up camp.
    Now along this stretch are just a shitpot full of signs. Artificial bait only / catch & release. I don't remember all of them but there were many. I didn;t read all the signs that trip and a new one read " do not dig in or drive on this land" or something similar. I missed it and when i pulled in, I backed beyond the signs and didn't think to read them again. My bad.

The Authority having jurisdiction pulled over and was writing. I got up out of my chair, coffee cup in hand and went over to him and asked if there was a problem. He pointed out the new sign and proceeded to write me up. I asked if i had to move the camper. He stated that since it was non motorized, it would be OK but we couldn't park there. I believe I may have sarcastically asked if I pulled in to hook up if I might be cited again. He said no.

Went down to Tionesta and paid the fine. I stated that I thought the property was owned by a private party but was told the fish commission controls the waterway and access to it. I have yet to buy another fishing license but was not much of a fisherman anyway. I may get back into it with my newly retired butt when my sweetie throws me out for a while.

About 3 or 4 months later, I receive a phone call while I was on a job. It was the same officer who cited me. He called to tell me that the Corps of engineers had just leveled a few parking spots about a half mile up the road which I could use the next season.
    I thanked him and we used that spot for 2 more years till the deer ran out.

Camping / hunting was a cool 5 days for all those years although we used a 15 foot and later a 23 foot trailer ( not tents) as home base. I miss it.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Montgomery County)

a lot of guys camp and hunt in the ANF.

(Carbon County)

I live right across the road from the Lehigh Gorge State Park and never heard about anyone camping there. I know you can in Hickory run, but it seems like a hassle to sign in. Anyway, those are local hunts for me. I would like to try the center of the state, but from the answers I got here, it just sounds like a run-around situation.

(Montgomery County)

I researched this alot a few months ago. There are places you can camp and hunt, you just need a permit. Unfortunately there is no camping on GAMELANDS, but State Forests allow primitive camping with a permit. I've thought about doing a camping/hiking trip during small game season and just hunting and camping for 2-3 days.

Here is all the info you need:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...ping/index.htm

"Primitive Camping is defined as overnight camping where all equipment is transported in limited trips by non-motorized vehicle methods and where a motorized vehicle is not located near or part of the camping experience.

For a brochure on back country primitive camping in state forests visit Primitive Camping.

For detailed maps of each district or to contact a district vist Find a Forest."

(Monroe County)

The allegheny national forest allows camping too if I am not wrong, as well as sections of the Delaware National Rec area.

(Bucks County)

Used to camp in a trailer at Tioga-Hammond Lakes up n Tioga. Not sure if that's a sate park or ACoE. Camping can get old if it's a wet week. If dry it's away to get to areas you wouldn't otherwise go to.

(Carbon County)

Just came back from WV and the one day was freezing rain. Yes, it sucks sometimes. Primitive camping? I use a tent but am not packing everything in. This state is just anti-camping. Thanks for the replies anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast