Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Fayette County)

Default Re: Bench vise recommendation? Jaw size, brand, features...

Wilton, 6 inch, swiveling bottom, replaceable soft jaws. You could go hog wild and buy a blacksmith's vise that tilts, too, but they may be a little pricey. Trust me, once you own a vise, you'll find all kinds of uses for it.

(Berks County)

Wow Steve! Great site! Appreciate you sharing like that, great pictures and info.

Another one goes into my favorites...
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by sinkrun View Post
    Stay away from any china vise the cast has been recycled so many times it pure crap. I agree with the above wilton about the best or a good old used USA made vise by any manufacture. Yes I do own some china tools a vise is not on the list.
    I concur. I've broke 3 cheap cast vices in the past. One from merely tightening it up really tight, the others from tightening on an object and hitting it with a hammer. (was trying hitting the object, but the combination of stress from being screwed tight and energy transfer through object from hammer hit broke two of the vices).

If a cast vise is all you can find, buy American. But if you can, try to find a forged vice. A forged vice will still be in use by your great great great grandkids. We have one on the farm that was made around the turn of the last century and has seen countless hours of abuse. ....hammered upon as an anvil, heated with torches and welders, over tightening, etc, etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the help. I've been looking for a good vise too.

(Erie County)

I have a vise made in Erie Pa at Reed Mnfg that has taken an unbelievable beating. I got it from Dad and I know he got it over 70 years ago. I don't think it can be broken. I also have a small Black and Decker work mate that works very well for working on guns. The jaws can close on tapered objects as each end close separately with two crank handles. It isn't made to take a lot of stress but will take any stress you would put on a rife short of a barrel change.

(Pike County)

+1 on the Wiltons. I use a 6" Wilton Columbian that I beat the shit out of and it works great. Defiantly check out flea markets and craigslist for used vises. The older the better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12