Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions?

(Centre County)

Default Questions?

I recently purchased some Lake City once fired 5.56, that has been "processed", and is "ready to prime & load".

Upon inspecting, many fall into the length of 1.43 to 1.50..However, when inserted into my Wilson case-gauge (for .223) all brass are with-in tolerance.

Should I be concerned with case length variations?

I will be shooting these from a Windham Weaponry SRC 16" barrel, with 1 in 9 twist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thank You in advance...

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Last edited by RidgeRoadHunter; November 28th, 2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: quote insertion

Default Re: Questions?

anything in a semi-auto should be full length resized and trimmed to length. No questions asked.

Upon inspecting, many fall into the length of 1.43 to 1.50..However, when inserted into my Wilson case-gauge (for .223) all brass are with-in tolerance.
    Something ain't right with your measurement there.

SAAMI spec length for .223 brass is 1.760" -.030". So that gives you a range of 1.730"-1.760". That measurement is to be taken after the brass is full length sized.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...0Remington.pdf

I use an RCBS X die set so all my brass is trimmed to 1.740" after being full length sized. Most non X die users trim to 1.750".
    Last edited by dkf; November 28th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

I'll assume that you meant (as stated) 1.743 - 1.750 not 1.5xx

Since the cartridge headspaces on the shoulder, that is your critical measurement, OAL can be anything as long as its in spec.

The only thing that OAL can really mess up is if you taper crimp. But you should be using the Lee FCD and that die makes these minor variations meaningless.

I don't full length resize my M1 Garand brass every time. Maybe every 4-5th time through. Neck size and back in the enbloc.

(Bucks County)

My reloading manuals say 1.760, trim to 1.750.

Seems to me the mouth/neck cannot be protruding into the go area of that Wilson gauge at 1.743", which makes me wonder how you are reading that gauge.

The cartridge headspaces from head to bolt face and shoulder to chamber contact, so where the head is on the Wilson gauge is the more crucial consideration. If the head is in the go space, below the high points and above the hole, you're probably OK.

Have you tried chambering a few of them and seeing that the bolt goes into full battery and extraction/ejection is normal?

I wouldn't crimp at the cannelure on the below 1.750 shell. I'd go with COL. I never crimp .223s anyway.

I believe .007" less cartridge length is not a big deal if the load is moderate and the col is at spec.

Red face Re: Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    anything in a semi-auto should be full length resized and trimmed to length. No questions asked.
    I agree..full-resize, measure...trim as needed. Slow but hey, ya doan wanna case head separation or stuck round do ye? IMHO this is why I reload pistol ammo but buy mostly comm'l rifle ammo!

(Centre County)

Sorry...fingers got ahead of myself...measurements taken are 1.743 to 1.750

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Something ain't right with your measurement there.

SAAMI spec length for .223 brass is 1.760" -.030". So that gives you a range of 1.730"-1.760". That measurement is to be taken after the brass is full length sized.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...0Remington.pdf

I use an RCBS X die set so all my brass is trimmed to 1.740" after being full length sized. Most non X die users trim to 1.750".
    thanks for the reply...fingers got ahead of my self measurements ar 1.743 to 1.750... I didn't resize as purchased brass fits correctly in my gauge...Was just wondering if the variations in lengths will affect accuracy

(Centre County)

Thanks Bang...According to my gauge the mouth after inserted into gauge is flush with the lower (base) of the gauge...same goes with the head..

Wasn't planning on crimping...will be loading 55 gr. hornady v-max (moly)...which presents another dilemma..

According to hornady 9th edition under .223..the C.O.L for the V-max is 2.250and that is with a 26" barrel with 1 in 12 twist.

However, under the 5.56 NATO section..there is a 55 gr. GMX with a C.O.L. at 2.200...

Which data do I go by? Kinda paranoid on messing up a 1000.00 rifle if there's a possibility of that occurring.

Thanks so much for your reply/help

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

(Bucks County)

The difference in listed OAL is probably due to the shape of the bullets cannelure. I would start at the published length for the bullet you are using. As you get more experienced there are ways to determine the length to the lands and the optimal seating distance. For now go with published data.

Having some cases a little shorter than the recommended trim length is OK. It will not effect headspace (the most important part). It will just mean some cases will have a slightly smaller grip area on the seated bullet. A bench rest shooter (shooting <0.25 inch groups) will tell you thats important. For everyone else...you will never notice it. Plus after one shot the case will be longer.

I wouldn't worry so much about blowing up your rifle. Just be careful and take your time reloading. Use data from a reputable source, start at the lower end of the reloading data, and don't go hot rodding the powder charge. You may find your most accurate load is well under max. When that happens stop and be happy.
    Last edited by Delkal; November 29th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast