Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Some shotgun frustrations and some good times

I've delegated my 20 GA to deer shooting only so it's got the rifled barrel and the scope on it. My uncle gave me his 12 GA Mossberg 500 from the early 60's. I decided I would use that for hunting this year.

For the life of me I can't get used to it. I'm not sure what it is. I went out for Pheasant on the opener and we put up 14 birds. I hit 0. 3 days later I went out with a friend, he brought the dog, I brought my dog and I brought the gun. Put up 12 birds and I missed all 12.

FFWD to the opener of goose season. This is my first year goose hunting. Friend of mine got me into it.

I bring the 12 Ga again.. Thinking maybe this will work. One bird came in. BLAM! hit it and it drops... not dead and starts running.... BLAM... Miss..... Blam hit it and it's done. First goose ever... very happy and excited.

Here I am with my first goose after the hunt!

Sorry for the dark pictures, the pictures are taken after everything is all cleaned up and put away.

The following Tuesday we're out again. I miss every bird... again. While shooting I was fortunate enough to see where one of the shots went thanks to a low flying bird. Seems it was shooting way to the right and low. Not sure why but at least I can see where it's going now.

2 days later we're out again. Miss everything again. I'm just not comfortable with this damn thing.

I gave up on it. I feel bad because it's my uncles gun but I can't use it for whatever reason.

I swapped barrels on the 20 Ga and took that out the following day for some geese again. My buddy and I got two each. With deer season coming up and not wanting to keep swapping barrels on the 20 Ga (not to mention it's hard to find ammo for geese for a 20 gauge) I had to make a decision on the Mossberg.

I broke down on Saturday and bought a new Stoeger M3000. Got it for a very good price. 26" barrel full camo. Takes up to 3" shells and came with 3 chokes.

Everything feels good with this gun. It's light, points nice etc.

Went trap shooting yesterday at my gun club. My two friends and I all went and was a first for both of them.

I bring the new gun and I'm all excited... I miss the first 5 and start thinking... WTF is wrong with me. I've never been this bad shooting, so much for the new gun thing.

Miss the next five but I'm getting more and more comfortable with it. The next round I hit 3 out of 5 then 3 out of 5 then 4 out of 5 and competed the round hitting 10 our of 25. Now I'm getting a little happier. We only shot one round of trap and then went to the patterning range.

Got a text from my other friend who owns the farm "Want to break in that gun or what?"

So today we went out for Geese. Set up around 3:00pm At 3:30 pm we hear geese. Coming from behind us. My buddy starts doing a few calls. It's a nice group but only two break off and come in. He gives me the green light and BLAM! one down.... BLAM two down! I'm ecstatic!! Few minutes later another group of 6 Geese come in.

Blam I get my limit! My buddy got 3 of those as well. We limited out by 3:38 pm

Here are the first two I took. I didn't get a picture of all three for whatever reason .

I don't know what it is with that Mossberg but I think it's been delegated to safe duty. I do however love this Stoeger!

What a fantastic day today was. it really got my confidence back in my shooting. Didn't miss one bird today.
    Last edited by soup; November 25th, 2013 at 11:38 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Some shotgun frustrations and some good times

If the stoeger fits you must equit! What's good for goose is good for the O never mind. It's such a relief to find a gun that fits! I have been there missing easy shots with a gun that doesn't fit.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.