Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: State Game land Range- concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    They don't frisk you at the SGL range. I conceal all the time when I'm at my local SGL range. I do not shoot my cc firearm, so no one is the wiser.

But don't load it all up.

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee, it is unlawful to:

<snip>

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

<snip>

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.

How do all these rules work together? I have no flipping idea.
    I have heard that the WCOs that patrol these places look to find any reason to issue fines.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Ill admit it I cc there ill be damned if I leave thiusands of dollars on a table or will be unarmed around some of the shitheads that frequent that place.
    I too would not leave my guns unattended at a range like that. I never go alone. While one changes the targets the other stays with the guns and watches over the other participants.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I think a cogent argument can be made that any regulations promulgated by the Game Commission are pursuant to their enabling legislation, namely, the Title 34 Game and Wildlife Code Statutes.

58 Pa. Code §135.181(b)(2) cites as its authority

would thus be superseded by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I have to spread some rep before hitting TL again. Thanks for that info!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    They don't frisk you at the SGL range. I conceal all the time when I'm at my local SGL range. I do not shoot my cc firearm, so no one is the wiser.

YES!!! It's not called "CONCEALED" carry for nothing........
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Chester County)

Many, many years ago before I belonged to a private gun club, I would on occasion go the French Creek SGL range. At that time it had a pistol range off to one side. I never noticed game commission people there. Still, if I didn't go on off times, the yahoos would descend, and create what I considered an unsafe environment. That in itself made me stop going. Now it seems there are so many rules, and the game commission just can't seem to wait to ding you for something. No thanks.

(Washington County)

I think a cogent argument can be made that any regulations promulgated by the Game Commission are pursuant to their enabling legislation, namely, the Title 34 Game and Wildlife Code Statutes.

This is 100% correct!
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Bucks County)

And OC as well?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    And OC as well?
    Yes for:

any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm
    issued under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109
    Unlicensed OC is not covered under 34 Pa CS 2525 and hence the Game regulations are not thereby tolled.
    IANAL

(Pike County)

I CC at SGL 183 every time I'm there. I was picking something up this past summer and as I was bending over they saw my handgun. They asked if I had a LTCF, I showed it to them, they said have a nice day.

Then again the guys that patrol that range have gotten to know me by face and know that I spend a lot of time picking trash up around the place as well as bringing my own wood to fix a target stand so we can shoot.

(York County)

The only 2 game lands ranges I've ever shot at were the ones off Rt. 34 beyond Carlisle, and the one just south of Dillsburg. I haven't been to either in several years now (since the range fees were instituted). Unless we were very lucky to be the only ones on the range at the time, I can't say that I was ever impressed with the majority of the shooters that I encountered. They simply seemed to have no idea of range safety and/or etiquette. Few even understood having an appointed range officer, the hot/cold range commands, etc. It got to the point that I simply didn't feel safe shooting there and ended up joining 2 private clubs. As far as CC/OC at state game ranges, it doesn't seem that the laws as written are simple or concise. The few GC officers I've encountered while shooting never really gave me more than a quick glance and a "How ya doin'?" but I have heard more than a few horror stories. I never OC'd but normally always had my EDC concealed so I doubt that any officer ever even knew I was carrying. I would say that you would be at a significant risk of being hassled at the very least, and possibly being cited/fined should you be observed carrying a loaded weapon in today's times. Just one more reason that I won't go to any state game range anymore. YMMV.

(York County)

I go infrequently to the range at 242, but as said, it's a scary proposition at times. I carry while I'm there and have never been given a second glance. I have also been there when a management officer has shown up and asked, "...who's range officer?" And, when no one answered, he got really pissed off. I thought I knew who was running the range when I arrived and knew it wasn't me, so I just looked like an idiot with the rest. Had I been on top of my game and expecting it, I would have piped up, but alas, hindsight...

He informed us of his displeasure, pointed out he could write us all up if he wanted, and appointed someone at random, then went on his merry way. But, wow, was he ticked off that we all sat there like sheep. I mean, we were calling the range and communicating, but just no one spoke up within three seconds and he went off. About half the benches were hot, so not like the day before deer season or anything.

I've noticed when I go and get my turn to call the line, folks seem to appreciate someone being in charge. I hate that feeling of vague assurity. When I leave, I usually tap the next person so they know it's them. "It's yur range now, Brother". Usually get the scared bunny look. There are some dicks down there at times, for sure. I leave when it gets silly. Might not be a bad idea to post some basic rules for running the range right there with the rest so folks know what's expected. I'm of the opinion that one should spend some time on the driving range before they play 18 for real, but never hurts to be specific.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast