Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Can't f find a Sheriff in PA to do handgun transfer

Checked with Adams and York County Sheriffs. Both say they don't do handgun transfers as a matter of policy. Does any Sheriff do this?

Default Re: Can't f find a Sheriff in PA to do handgun transfer

Why are you limiting the transfer to a sheriff's office? Any local gun shop can do this for you. Prices vary drastically so call around and see who charges the least.

(Dauphin County)

A Sheriff could if he had a Federal Firearms License, but they're normally mutually exclusive.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    A Sheriff could if he had a Federal Firearms License, but they're normally mutually exclusive.
    PA sheriffs can do intrastate transfers of handguns and other 6102 firearms (ref 18 Pa CS 6111(c)) - an FFL is required for a business (think sales/commerce) or interstate transfers.
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 25th, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    As tl_3237 stated...

The only sheriff I know of in PA that is also a FFL is ours here in Jefferson county.

He still does "sheriff transfers", but on a PICS call his ID number brings up a more stringent set of rules for passing PICS. ...not only are federal and PA 6105 rules considered, but also 6109's rules about issuance of a LTCF - even if it is merely to do a transfer of a firearm.

For him to do interstate transfers as a FFL you have to go to his place of business, which happens to be in his home close to Punxy.

JeffCo used to also do 18yo-20yo "firearm" transfers awhile back, but I'm not sure of the present state of affairs. Carl is absolutely pro-gun, and seems to know the law pretty well - so he may still do them. His two predecessors used to do them for sure(been there, done that).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    As tl_3237 stated...

The only sheriff I know of in PA that is also a FFL is ours here in Jefferson county.

He still does "sheriff transfers", but on a PICS call his ID number brings up a more stringent set of rules for passing PICS. ...not only are federal and PA 6105 rules considered, but also 6109's rules about issuance of a LTCF - even if it is merely to do a transfer of a firearm.

For him to do interstate transfers as a FFL you have to go to his place of business, which happens to be in his home close to Punxy.

JeffCo used to also do 18yo-20yo "firearm" transfers awhile back, but I'm not sure of the present state of affairs. Carl is absolutely pro-gun, and seems to know the law pretty well - so he may still do them. His two predecessors used to do them for sure(been there, done that).
    Can a sheriff charge a fee to do a transfer thru the sheriff's office...(not a sheriff with an FFL)?

(Adams County)

Thanks for all the quick responses. The issue is the buyer is under 21 so FFLs can't do the transfer. If Sheriffs can, none that I've talked to will as a matter of policy.

(Adams County)

Just called Jefferson County Sheriffs office. They don't do transfers either.

My concern is that the rights of individuals 18-20 to purchase firearms is being abridged by nothing more than administrative unwillingness of the PA Sheriff's to do their job as spelled out in 18 PA CS 6111 (c). For many years I lived in Florida, where there is no requirement for a background check for private sales of any firearm, including handguns. There an 18-20 year old can buy a firearm privately but not from an FFL, so the purchase right is not interfered with.
    Last edited by BlackJack; November 25th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Can a sheriff charge a fee to do a transfer thru the sheriff's office...(not a sheriff with an FFL)?
    $5 for the PICS call is a certainty. For doing the work - there is nothing to prohibit charging a fee.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    My concern is that the rights of individuals 18-20 to purchase firearms is being abridged by nothing more than administrative unwillingness of the PA Sheriff's to do their job as spelled out in 18 PA CS 6111 (c). For many years I lived in Florida, where there is no requirement for a background check for private sales of any firearm, including handguns. There an 18-20 year old can buy a firearm privately but not from an FFL, so the purchase right is not interfered with.
    Same deal with NFA. Just because the local CLEO has a personal issue with NFA firearms and will not sign off, you end up having to set up a Trust or LLC/Corp to own them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast