Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Can't f find a Sheriff in PA to do handgun transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Same deal with NFA. Just because the local CLEO has a personal issue with NFA firearms and will not sign off, you end up having to set up a Trust or LLC/Corp to own them.
    Not for much longer. A couple of bozo's filed a law suit about this and lost so guess what? The US Congress is trying to put a stop nix on this little shimmer of light.

There is a thread around here recently that specifically discusses this issue.

http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/2...le-change.html
    CL
    Last edited by customloaded; November 25th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Just called Jefferson County Sheriffs office. They don't do transfers either.

My concern is that the rights of individuals 18-20 to purchase firearms is being abridged by nothing more than administrative unwillingness of the PA Sheriff's to do their job as spelled out in 18 PA CS 6111 (c). For many years I lived in Florida, where there is no requirement for a background check for private sales of any firearm, including handguns. There an 18-20 year old can buy a firearm privately but not from an FFL, so the purchase right is not interfered with.
    Did you talk to Carl(the sheriff), a deputy, or did you talk to one of his office personnel?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

If you transfer it to a parent or grandparent of the young man mentioned they could simply gift it to him. Good luck in any event.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Quacked View Post
    If you transfer it to a parent or grandparent of the young man mentioned they could simply gift it to him. Good luck in any event.
    Proposed many times before. Same answer:

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ml#post2562089

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ml#post2562106
    IANAL

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post

If the intent is to circumvent the legal method, then the transfer is illegal.
    Rather then circumvent the legal method- I am endorsing a way to embrace it. Either way I have no dog in this fight. Happy Thanksgiving.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Same deal with NFA. Just because the local CLEO has a personal issue with NFA firearms and will not sign off, you end up having to set up a Trust or LLC/Corp to own them.
    I have recently learned that any chief law enforcement officer can sign off on NFA stuff. This includes the sheriff, local PD chiefs, and the county DA. Someone here in Lackawanna asked the DA Andy Jarbola to sign off; the DA asked him why he didn't have the sheriff do it. Our sheriff (on his way out now) has always refused. The DA then contacted the sheriff about it, which resulted in a pissing match between the two. In the end, the sheriff signed off on it, because if he didn't, the DA would, which would've resulted in future problems for the sheriff. Don't know what those problems would've been.

I highly doubt you will find a Sheriff who will do the transfer. I think the bigger picture is that overall support for purchases/possessions of handguns by those under 21 is quite low. Luckily, this is a temporary problem for individuals, as once you turn 21 you can never be under 21 again (obvious, i know)....

Same thing with alcohol/gambling/etc... sometimes it is just better to wait.

I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps... got out not too long after my 22nd Birthday... let me tell you it was pretty tough spending most of my active duty going to all of the events and not being able to consume alcohol... or being on duty with an M9 but not being able to personally own one....

But once you spend a few years 21+, you kind of forget about it.....

There are all kinds of arguments out there about the way we (society) treat 18-20 year olds, and im not going to get too deep in the weeds with any of them, but i do wish all of you luck... stay safe and don't be tempted to break laws which only apply to you for 2 or 3 years..believe me, it comes sooner than you think.

(Adams County)

The final resolution of this was I sold the gun to his father through an FFL. The young man in question may or may not have been gifted the firearm by his father, I don't know, but that's their business.

This whole exercise was an interesting foray into how the laws are applied in this area. There is so much to be concerned about in the extra-constitutional limitations placed on firearms use and ownership that this one is only a blip on the screen. But it's important to probe the system from time to time to try to make it work, IMHO.

BTW, I didn't speak directly to the Sheriff in Adams County, it was one of his deputies and I didn't get the name.

Thanks for all the information and help on this thread, and Merry Christmas to all.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Thanks for all the quick responses. The issue is the buyer is under 21 so FFLs can't do the transfer. If Sheriffs can, none that I've talked to will as a matter of policy.
    It is against ATF regulations to sell or transfer a handgun to someone under 21, so you won't find any FFL or sheriff in PA to do that transfer.

Page 5 of the ATF Federal Firearms Licensee Quick Reference and Best
    Practices:

http://www.atf.gov/files/publication...-p-5300-15.pdf
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCGS View Post
    It is against ATF regulations to sell or transfer a handgun to someone under 21, so you won't find any FFL or sheriff in PA to do that transfer.

Page 5 of the ATF Federal Firearms Licensee Quick Reference and Best
    Practices:

http://www.atf.gov/files/publication...-p-5300-15.pdf
    You should probably read the whole thread. It is against the law for a ffl to do it, not a sheriff.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast