Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default What Are These Stamps ??

Came across these in a lot of stuff I acquired, no idea what they're used for and the interwebs has been no help.

Somebody mentioned that they may have been for competition ammo lots (Camp Perry maybe?), but no idea. The box they came in says US Action Marking, Chgo 34, U.S.A.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about 'em. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roland of Gilead; November 25th, 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: dumbass forgot the pics
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: What Are These Stamps ??

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    Came across these in a lot of stuff I acquired, no idea what they're used for and the interwebs has been no help.

Somebody mentioned that they may have been for competition ammo lots (Camp Perry maybe?), but no idea. The box they came in says US Action Marking, Chgo 34, U.S.A.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about 'em. Thanks.
    Here's a SWAG.

"US Action Marking" is probably the maker of the stamps. The stamps themselves look to be Ordnance Dept. inspectors cartouches. The numerals could be dates, but I'll be dipped if I know how they're to be read. FWIW I've never seen stamps like these used on Army TMs, FMs, ARs, ammo boxes of any caliber etc.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Looks like the standard "match" eagle like here on the box.

I just checked the couple of boxes I have left though, no little stamps like those.

The folks that would probably know is the CMP forum, I would post over there. Very likely somebody will have an answer. Who knows they may be worth something.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    . . . "US Action Marking" is probably the maker of the stamps. . . . The numerals could be dates . . .
    I kind of figured this, even tried searching for Action Marking in Chicago, but no soap (or at least nothing useful).

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    The folks that would probably know is the CMP forum, I would post over there. Very likely somebody will have an answer.
    Sound like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Who knows they may be worth something.
    That's the plan !!!

Thanks to both of you.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Susquehanna County)

Take note of the Chicago 34 portion of the address. That means they pre-date the Zip Code system (which started in 1963) and in fact the two digit postal zone system started in 1943. So these stamps date from sometime during the 20 year period between '43 and '63.

Here's a reference to explain that: http://www.oldstuffonly.com/zip_code_date.asp

Dates When Postal Zones and Zip Codes Started

POSTAL ZONES - You may have noticed that many addresses during the period between 1943 and 1963 had a one or two digit number following the city name. These numbers were postal zones. It may surprise you to learn that postal zones were instituted in 1943 during WWII. They were necessary because many postal clerks had gone into the service and the new inexperienced postal clerks were having trouble sorting the mail. The zone system was put in place to make things easier.

ZIP CODES - By 1963, most of first-class mail in the United States was generated by a small number of large-volume mailers, so The Post Office Department devised a plan to speed handling and delivery of letter mail. By this time most businesses had automated mailing systems that could easily handle the 5 digits that would allow mailings to bypass as many as six mail-handling steps. Zip codes went into effect on July 1, 1963. ZIP stood for Zone Improvement Plan.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GENUINE AND ORIGINAL ANTIQUES AND COLLECTIBLES AT BARGAIN BASEMENT PRICES CLICK HERE: items/complete-catalog/list.htm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Schuylkill County)

I believe they are post war, at the very least. The US Army did stamp a lot of items for acceptance, but the eagle and crossed arrows is only seen on Korea and later items.

I believe the actual name is 'Defense Acceptance Stamp' or DAS.

Not sure what the numbers mean.. but would be 99.99999999% certain they are not dates.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    I kind of figured this, even tried searching for Action Marking in Chicago, but no soap (or at least nothing useful).
    There is a firm by that name in Franklin Park

Action Marking Products Co
    9350 Grand Ave, Franklin Park, IL ‎
    (815) 943-0500 ‎