Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default 11-87 barrel destroyed..

went out to shoot my 11-87 with some slugs to see how it would hit for opening day a deer since I didn't kill one with my bow. shot 5 shots yesterday and then a few today. after shooting a few today I wanted to switch from MOD to IMP CYL to see if it would move the shots any. Went to unscrew the choke and no dice. I had just checked it yesterday morning while cleaning the whole gun and it was finger tight.
    The tip of the barrel just where the choke stops is lumped out and part of the choke is gone ( looked inside the barrel with a flashlight and can see the part missing.)
    extremely pissed of about this, 800 and some odd dollar gun and this happens.
    Is there anything I can do? is it legal to saw say 4" off the barrel to below where the choke would thread in? its a 28" barrel so that would put me at 24" and then a cylinder bore correct?
    if that is something I can do what is the best method for doing this? I figure the barrel is already wiped so if I can saw that off and then shoot and see how slugs group afterwards ill give it a shot.
    thanks fellas. im at a loss here, don't really have the money to shell out for a new barrel in the next week.
    Volunteer firefighters, unpaid professionals

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 11-87 barrel destroyed..

Yes, it's perfectly legal for you to saw the end of your shotgun barrel off as long as the resultant barrel is at least 18" in length. Yes, you'll end up with a cylinder bore.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Yes, it's perfectly legal for you to saw the end of your shotgun barrel off as long as the resultant barrel is at least 18" in length. Yes, you'll end up with a cylinder bore.
    guess that's what ill be doing and going back to the range to see what happens. thank you sir.

(Beaver County)

If you have time, try a good gunsmith to re thread for you.
    'It is Their Right, It is Their Duty, To Throw Off Such Government '

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold eagle View Post
    If you have time, try a good gunsmith to re thread for you.
    can they rethread it after having it cut down like that? I know nothing about this type of thing with the choke and barrels.

(Luzerne County)

The problem is that you used a modified choke to shoot slugs... it caused excessive pressure at the muzzle end where the barrel is thinner to accomodate the choke. Improved cylinder is recommended for shooting slugs unless you have a rifled slug barrel...

(Mercer County)

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...earchscope=all

MidwayUSA has several in stock, not cheap though

(Delaware County)

yea I immediately started looking at barrels and know that I cant shell out that kinda coin at the moment ( full time college student) maybe after Christmas during break I can get one. im gonna try the cut barrel and hope it is close at 50 yards with slugs and then ill back that up with 3.5" 00.
    the box of slugs says can use in any choke and I see most guys recommend a Imp Cyl, I started at the mod to move down didn't know it would cause that much damage. expensive day at the range and expensive lesson learned!

Quote Originally Posted by orangejeep54 View Post
    yea I immediately started looking at barrels and know that I cant shell out that kinda coin at the moment ( full time college student) maybe after Christmas during break I can get one. im gonna try the cut barrel and hope it is close at 50 yards with slugs and then ill back that up with 3.5" 00.
    the box of slugs says can use in any choke and I see most guys recommend a Imp Cyl, I started at the mod to move down didn't know it would cause that much damage. expensive day at the range and expensive lesson learned!
    What brand and type of slugs were you shooting? Just curious.
    Jules

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by orangejeep54 View Post
    That MAY apply to guns without interchangeable chokes.. but since the chokes have to be threaded into the barrel there is less metal there and that MAY be the reason they say you can use any choke. Just a guess, but I was always told to use IC when shooting slugs unless it is a rifled barrel... Sorry that it happened, but just be glad it wasnt worse.. could have had a blown out barrel....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast