Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Possible move to PA from MD/Trust question

Family and I might be moving from MD to PA this spring, Erie area. I have a MD NFA trust and have 7 items in the atf pipeline going into the trust. I get conflicting answers as to whether I have to get a new trust or my MD trust is good in Pa, or does it just need to be modified etc. Prince law said I have to get a new one. My lawyer says no. Anyone here move from MD with a trust? Shoot me a pm please.

Thanks in advance, Poop

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Possible move to PA from MD/Trust question

I would not take the advice of anyone until I spoke directly to the ATF about your trust. Get what they say in writing, good luck

(York County)

Prince law is a pretty good source of information. If you ask 3 ATF agents the same question, you will get 3 different answers. jm2c

I have reached out to Prince (just a contact email, not talked to them yet) and they said I would have to create a whole new trust, transfer into that trust etc. My MD NFA lawyer said that is the easy way out, but another option would be to have the trust amended to meet PA trust standards. PA is, MD is not a signatory to UTC, my guess why the new trust. I do plan to contact Kim Ramsburg at ATF as well.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sincitynut View Post
    If you ask 3 ATF agents the same question, you will get 3 different answers. jm2c
    Well, he's asked two lawyers, one more and he will have 3 different answers that way.

(Lancaster County)

Definitely ask about amending the trust so you don't have to pay the $200 stamp for every item you have all over again.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Talked to Prince Law firm yesterday. Apparently the initial response from them was by an attorney with no knowledge of NFA laws, not her fault, she just happened to be the one who responded to my email inquiry. When I did talk to her in person I explained my situation. She called back after talking to Tom. Of course they can review, amend, and restate my trust to make it comply with PA trust laws. Price will be dictated by the time it takes to review it and the amount of amendments that may need to be made. That was the answer I wanted to hear and what my MD NFA attorney said would be totally acceptable. She did say I would have to do this IF I was planning to buy another Title 2 firearm while living in PA, but did not state that I would have to amend the trust period. Must be a matter of should verse have to. Home inspection this M/T. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Poop