Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Snuck within 10' of a four pointer yesterday

Out bird hunting and workin a cornfield hedge row, the wind was stiff and blowing on my face, so I slowed down I figured the birds would be sitting tight,.The corn tassels where blowing and making a lot of noise, I continued to move like smoke along the edge. There was a let up in the wind, so I paused and heard what sounded like something thrashing in the corn row about 8 rows up. I crept a few more feet and peered ahead and noticed a four pointer eating an ear of corn still (Like corn on the cob)on the husk about 30' away.
    I waited for the wind to pick up, and carefully crept toe to heel in the soft dirt. The wind mask any unnatural sounds and it was in my face, so I knew I had a faint chance of poking this buck in the ass with my double barrel just for shits and grins.
    I was able to get within 10', before he looked back and I get the biggest WTF look I ever did see. Maybe he's a bit more educated now..LOL
    Its what we do north of I-80, just because we can...
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Snuck within 10' of a four pointer yesterday

Sounds more fun than Xbox.

I remember sneaking up on a bedded down buck in the woods out in Washington County with the wind in my face and lots of noise from the trees. I would bet I got within 3 feet of him before he jumped up and almost ran me over getting away.

(Lehigh County)

Here's my version of WTF!

Last edited by A-5; November 21st, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Back and July I had a very young and foolish fawn, still with spots, walk to within 7 or 8 feet of me. It saw me and got this "WTF?" look on it's face, and then started walking towards me to figure out what I was. I had my iPhone in my hand and I was dying to get the video going, but I didn't want to move. Finally it got close enough to get freaked out and walked away.

Very cool.

(Luzerne County)

I had a doe this muzzleloader season let me walk up within about 10 feet of her. She stayed laying in the grass, I stood there and had a smoke and was looking around, before she jumped up right infront of me, suprised the heck out of me.

(York County)

The young ones are suprisingly silly. I had two trot up to my truck as I was at the passenger door in the glove box. It was down at WV camp right up the gravel road out in the open. I got it on video. It was just like the petting zoo. I could almost reach out and touch them. I told them they better go find their mamma and they took off at the sound of my voice.

Some of the best hunts I've had were sneaking up on deer, but never fired a shot. But, my most memorable moment cost a nice ten point his life. I got to within about 15' and fire an arrow through a hole in the brush right into the base of his neck. It almost completely severed all the arteries across the top of his heart. It all but fell out when I gutted him. He never had a clue, bedded down on a sunny autumn day. It took me an hour to traverse 50 yards of open, leaf covered ground. It's all about the wind and moving like a statue. The heel to toe techinique is key to moving without motion. Sure beats sitting in a stand all day (and I do that frequently too), but the tension is almost unbearable. Talk about a long-term adrenaline dump!