Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: NICS vs PICS ??

(Montgomery County)

Default NICS vs PICS ??

I am a novice when it does to understanding PA gun laws. I was looking at the tie and saw that there is a chance to strike down PICS and go with the National Check system. I apologize for not knowing more, but what is the advantage of NICS over PICS? I usually fall on the side of smaller government and the train of thought that keeping things local is usually the best practice. I've had my problems with the flawed PICS system but I'm not sure the National system is better. Could someone please share some knowledge on this?

Thanks... I'm just working on becoming informed

FM

(Centre County)

Default Re: NICS vs PICS ??

Just go 12-13 post down from yours and you can get a lot of info.

HB 921 PICS elimination – saving Freedom, taxpayer monies & reducing size of governme ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic1974 View Post
    I am a novice when it does to understanding PA gun laws. I was looking at the tie and saw that there is a chance to strike down PICS and go with the National Check system. I apologize for not knowing more, but what is the advantage of NICS over PICS? I usually fall on the side of smaller government and the train of thought that keeping things local is usually the best practice. I've had my problems with the flawed PICS system but I'm not sure the National system is better. Could someone please share some knowledge on this?

Thanks... I'm just working on becoming informed

FM
    NICS pros:
    1. less down time
    2. e-check if the phone system is down
    3. no fee/surtax to use the system
    4. a means to get flag's cleared that actually works
    5. e-submittable challenges
    6. longer hours of operation

NICS cons:
    1. a much longer appeal/challenge time period(2-3 months isn't uncommon, where as 2-4 weeks for PICS is typical)
    2. no local means to appeal, if it goes to the courts you have to go to a federal court
    3. less levels of challenges
    4. authority is completely in one location to say whether or not you can receive a gun
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

NICS/PICS arrived after I gave up my FFL with Klinton's 1st election. My understanding was that Klinton compromised to put into the law the means to fund NICs for national use, yet some states chose to operate their own systems in parallel/in addition to, as allowed by Fed law.

(States are always free to add their own restrictions to the 2A - Kali, NY, MA, NJ, HI, et al - but must always meet the minimums of the Fed laws.
    Imagine the shitstorm if states restricted other selected Constitutional rights; like speech, religion, race, voting.... food for another thread.)

Anyway, my tinfoil hat says that PICs is yet another Harrisburg scam to get into our wallets and create patronage jobs with the excuse of "safety".
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

PICS: Under the finger and whim of the State Police; no relation to the Constitution.

NICS: Directly under the finger of the Sheriffs with direct access; no State Police interference or costs; Sheriffs obligated to uphold the Constitution. "We the People.........." "The RIGHT of the People to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed".

I have permits from several states. PA State Police have arbitrarily decided that they do not wish to renew my PA permit as I am not a resident. Duh?

Sheriff called to apologize and said it is totally out of his control; he MUST have a PICS number in order to issue.

I really don't give a crap as my other permits are good in PA anyway, but, just sayin'......