Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Painful hunting experience

Sat. morn, last day of archery, I decided to go up to the top of our lot and get in my cousins Summit climber for a change. In the darkness on my way up the hill, I thought, "....maybe I should just drop off into the two man ladder stand instead of going the whole way up and climbing that tree".

Naaaaa, stick to the plan! Show'em you ain't some old sissy. So up I go.

Long about 7:45, I see movement down below me on the logging road, and it doesn't take long to figure out it's the buck I saw four weeks ago down near the road. Even at almost 100 yards, it was easy to see his rack, which is decent, but not huge. Don't know how many points, guessing at least 8. Don't have to count them, that's for sure. The overwhelming thing I first noticed is the size of his body. MY GOD! He looks and moves like a cow! He dwarfs any deer close to him. Just a horse.

Long story short, the logging road he's on takes him 15 yards in front of the other stand...the one I almost got into instead! Thinking back on it, I should have screamed at him. Had nothing to lose and sure felt like it.

Ah, hunting.....never know what's going to happen next. Maybe the boy will get a shot at him in rifle season. That would make a dandy first buck for a 13 year old.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Painful hunting experience

Don't feel too bad. This is my daughters first year of hunting and she's had the itch to shoot a turkey for Thanksgiving. I took her out Saturday to a valley I know where they like to work the two hilltops back and forth. We didn't see or hear anything for the first few hours so we walked up to the powerline.

It's an uphill walk either direction so I asked her if she wanted to go left or right. She said she didn't care so I told her whatever direction I pick will be the wrong one. She still didn't care so I picked left. Once we got to the top of the hill we stopped to find a place to sit and there they went, walked right across the powerline on the other hill. I never said a word, just looked at her and she said "Dad, next time you pick we're going the other direction". I tried to tell her, lol.

(Lehigh County)

I am the king of wrong stand picking. Twice monster bucks were shot out of my stand when I was in my other stand.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Luzerne County)

I always say ....if your name isn't on the hind side, you ain't going to get him, no matter where you post

(Elk County)

The way I pick supermarket and Wal-mart checkout lanes, I know better than to set foot in the woods, let alone where to place tree stands, or which one to occupy.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

The private property I hunt is about a 50 acre wooded lot. The backyard portion is a pretty decent size and has a lot of deer traffic on some days. When I am feeling lazy and don't feel like humping through the woods, I will just stay in the tree line and hunt. It is hit or miss though, as to whether or not they will come through the yard or stay hidden in the woods. I have had a number of occasions where I have gone back into the woods only to get a picture message from my buddy of a deer (or four) right in the yard. Ah well, what are you going to do? lol.