Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: First Shotgun Mossberg 500 What do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

Out of Improved, Modified and Full what would be a good starting point for Trap? I know I will need to pattern the firearm with the ammo I use to get a definitive answer. But with an Improved choke will I just be spreading the shot out way to much? Right now I have #8 shot target loads.
    Depends on how fast you are at acquiring the target and breaking the bird.
    Modified works pretty well for most casual trap shooters. It's more forgiving if you're not on target. Just don't let the bird get to far out. If that seems to happen you might opt for the Full. If you can't break the birds with the full, it generally means you're not on the target and need to check the fit of your gun and your technique (hold points, swing, etc).

On that particular shotgun (when deployed for trap) you may have to cover the bird with your muzzle to break it. Because they are rising you'll need to lead them a bit. Real trap shotguns have adjustable combs or built in leads. Trap guns permit you to float the bird over the front bead so it stays in your line of vision it's entire flight until you break it. Field guns typically don't have any lead built in. So in order to lead the bird enough you have to cover it with your barrel right before you pull the trigger.

Anyways, if you want to know more just PM me.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Found this while doing some ammo research. Its by Remington so it references their products but looks to be mostly all general shotgun information for the beginner.

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Fil...s/shotgun.ashx
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Bucks County)

I have a Mossberg 500. Got it in mid 90's for hunting deer. Came with bird barrel and the rifled barrel in 24" for sabot slugs. I sold the bird barrel didn't need it at the time.
    I hunted for a couple years and got good use out of it. I had no problem with it or handling any kick while using the slug barrel. I am only 140lb and on the shorter side.
    Good technique and practice will guide you. I have begun recently to purchase some upgrades(plenty out there) for it. Picked up a Blackhawk NRS tactical kit pretty cheap.
    I feel it will offer greater control with having the adjustable stock as I always felt like it was a bit long for my shorter arms. The pistol grip allows for more pull into the shoulder,
    while the forend is more ergonomic and feels a lot more comfortable over the wood. I can highly recommend it for a new hunter or even for self-defense,
    especially if you get the shorter barrel(this is on my list).

(Berks County)

Contact a local gun range and have someone who knows what they are doing show you how to use it PROPERLY. Don't rely on a buddy who has had one forever and assume that he/she really knows what to do with it. If you are using it for home defense, shoot it a lot! Get used to how it feels and know how to operate it without looking. You will not "wear" this shotgun out in your lifetime if it properly maintained.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345