Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: First Shotgun Mossberg 500 What do I need to know?

I have 4 Mossberg 500's and I've never had any functioning problems with any type shells or slug from new. They just plain work and I consider them to be a utility shotgun.
    Respect Few.....Fear None

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    Learn how to disassemble it and clean it. Many neglect to clean the action of their shotgun.

Clean it and get the grease out of it.
    There are a few good you tube videos on disassembly but cleaning seems that everyone has their own opinion.

After I wiped all the grease out of the action and barrel I chose to use a very light coat of oil where I could determine that metal rubbed against metal and then wiped up any excess.

Holiday plans have kept me from the range. Bu I'm holding out for this Sunday.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

I've read and heard that when shooting slugs out of a non-rifled barrel to be careful of what choke is installed on the barrel. I'm guessing it won't be of concern on the shorter barrel (it's probably a fixed IC). I'm assuming the longer barrel has removable chokes.

Just don't use too restrictive of a choke when shooting slugs. I'm sure you can look up the details on the web or find it in your shotgun's manual.

BTW, we'll have to set up a steel stage for shotguns this winter sometime (on a CMP Sunday) so you can give her a good run.
    Last edited by Hawk; December 3rd, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Toujours pręt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I've read and heard that when shooting slugs out of a non-rifled barrel to be careful of what choke is installed on the barrel. I'm guessing it won't be of concern on the shorter barrel (it's probably a fixed IC). I'm assuming the longer barrel has removable chokes.

Just don't use too restrictive of a choke when shooting slugs. I'm sure you can look up the details on the web or find it in your shotgun's manual.

BTW, we'll have to set up a steel stage for shotguns this winter sometime (on a CMP Sunday) so you can give her a good run.
    The 18.5" security barrel is cylinder bore. The 28" field barrel uses the Mossberg Accu-Choke system. It came with Improved, Modified and Full chokes.

From the Remington Slugger box:
    Rifled slugs may be fired through any choke, however, improved cylinder provides best results.
    I forgot the rule of the internet, it does not exist without pictures.

Last edited by QuackXP; December 3rd, 2013 at 02:21 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    The 18.5" security barrel is cylinder bore. The 28" field barrel uses the Mossberg Accu-Choke system. It came with Improved, Modified and Full chokes.

From the Remington Slugger box:

I forgot the rule of the internet, it does not exist without pictures.

Yes, IC seems to work the best. You can also buy a rifled choke tube to shoot sabot rounds out of it, they're supposed to be a little more accurate for distance, but I don't know if a rifled choke tube will really help a lot. The did an episode on slugs on the Box O Truth website awhile back firing rifled slugs from smoothbore and rifled barrels, shooting sabots from smoothbore and rifled barrels. Pretty sure the sabots shot better overall regardless of rifling or not...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    Yes, IC seems to work the best. You can also buy a rifled choke tube to shoot sabot rounds out of it, they're supposed to be a little more accurate for distance, but I don't know if a rifled choke tube will really help a lot. The did an episode on slugs on the Box O Truth website awhile back firing rifled slugs from smoothbore and rifled barrels, shooting sabots from smoothbore and rifled barrels. Pretty sure the sabots shot better overall regardless of rifling or not...

-Chaz
    I'll have to look that BoT episode up. Slugs are kind of at the bottom of my preference for now. For HD ill be probably going with 00 Buck and ill be using target loads with bird shot for Trap. If I decided to start deer hunting in Allegheny or otherwise get serious about shooting shotgun slugs id get a rifled barrel and shoot sabots.

(Allegheny County)

There was a thread here recently about a guy who bulged the end of his barrel shooting a slug through a modified choke.

http://forum.pafoa.org/shotguns-43/2...destroyed.html

Toujours pręt

(Allegheny County)

If I were a criminal, I'd be embarrassed to have been shot by such a pretty shotgun.

If I survived, that is.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    There was a thread here recently about a guy who bulged the end of his barrel shooting a slug through a modified choke.

http://forum.pafoa.org/shotguns-43/2...destroyed.html

Thanks for the link. Makes sense that maybe you can get away with more choke if its pressed into the barrel vs the screw in style of interchangeable chokes. I'll be sure to check to make sure I have an improved choke in before I start putting slugs downrange.

Out of Improved, Modified and Full what would be a good starting point for Trap? I know I will need to pattern the firearm with the ammo I use to get a definitive answer. But with an Improved choke will I just be spreading the shot out way to much? Right now I have #8 shot target loads.

(Monroe County)

Responding to the original post and have no idea what else has been posted but just learn the gun. Learn how to break it down and learn how to completely disassemble it. Youtube is great for detail strip videos. I had a 600A New Haven gun which is the same thing and knew it inside and out. Enjoy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast